How to send a FTM file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to send a FTM file

I have a FTM file on a disc which I want to send to somebody who does not have a tree programme so was trying to import it into FTM 2005 which I dont use now .
    I am getting a message that the file is more recent than the 2005 tree and to go to the geneaolgy site for an update ? not sure what they mean and is there an easier way to do this .
    Thanks

What program was used to create the original file?
    Why are you trying to import it into FTM 2005 rather than one of the later versions of FTM?

If the person you are sending it to doesn't have a family tree program then how is she intending to view it?
    She will need to download one of the freebies - you will find links to PAF and Legacy on our Genealogy Software page in the reference library - click here

The easiest way to send it is via a GEDCOM file, so export a GEDCOM from whatever program you are using which she will then import into whichever freebie software she downloads.
    Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine I have a FTM 2005 tree programe which I was going to let him have he doesn't want the internet resources on it just the file.
      Also its only some of the people in my tree not all and this disc has the ones he is interested in .
      Its a FTM gedcom on a CD R disc.

Comment

Just to clarify - you are going to give him a Family Tree Maker 2005 disc - plus a data file, presumably on a separate disc.

If the file in its curent form will not open using FTM 2005, then you will have to open it in whatever program you use and then export itas a GEDCOM data file.
        He can then instal FTM 2005 on his computer and import the GEDCOM.
        Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine can I ask a daft question as he is quite old and not computer literate unlike me how do I send him the file ? Not sure he would understand how to do it ?

Comment

To be honest Val, I am not quite clear what you are trying to do!

Are you sending him a Family Tree Maker 2005 CD for him to install on his computer?
            From what you are saying you also have a data file which you are sending him. Why not put this on a CD as well - you will have to do it in GEDCOM format so it means that you will have to export it from your FTM program (2010/2011 or whatever you use).
            He then installs the FTM program on to his computer. He can then insert the data CD into the drive and copy the data file from that on to his computer - then open FTM 2005 and open/import the file. Alternatively, if you don't want to send him the data file on a CD then send it to him by email. He saves it onto his computer, opens FTM and opens/imports the file in the same way.

If I've misunderstood what you are trying to do, my apologies - perhaps you can explain again!!!
            Elaine

Comment

I know I am bad at explaining myself Elaine so dont apologise
              I have a CD-R disc with a FTM gedcom on it for one side of the family, a rellie who has no tree programme and knows nothing about how to do it wants me to send it to him.
              So I suggested I gave him my FTM 2005 which he could install hopefully ? then I could send him the gedcom file which I finally managed to open and save with your help.
              Last edited by Guest; 20-07-11, 19:46.

Comment

I thought that was what you meant!
                So send him to FTM disc and get him to install it on to his computer.
                Once he has the program installed, it might then be easier to send the GEDCOM file separately as an attachment on an email. He can then save the GEDCOM file on to his computer.
                Give him the following link which then shows how to open it.
                http://tinyurl.com/3edg3eq

Elaine

Comment

thanks vey much Elaine you wouldn't believe how he found me today so many coincidences, just hope he can install and import it himself.

Comment

I see you made contact with someone on FTF today - lucky you!
                    Elaine

Comment

yes but he went offline as I came on .
                      This is another contact I got today who I am sending that file to , would you believe this one was talking to a Vicar at a function and mentioned he was searching for a Burial and mentioned her name the Vicar then said thats odd I have had an email from a Val Gray about her this week .he then told my contact to get in touch with the Lambeth Archives as they may know something , he asked for my phone number and rang me tonight, and guess who I had emailed this morning ?? The Lambeth Archives, isn't it odd??

Comment

Wow what a coincidence. Enjoy sharing your info.
                        Elaine

Comment

Would it not be easier to send him a narrative of all the people he is interested in plus a tree diagram done with PDF? that way he doesn't need to mess around with a Tree Program he's not familiar with.

You can do this easily with Family Historian so I presume FTM will do it too?

Anne

Comment

Thanks for that idea I suppose it would be better if I knew how to do it Anne ?? but he does want to add to the file so he could do that easily once he has it loaded I hope.?

Comment

Working...
                            X