Chasing the Ivy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chasing the Ivy

I have done quite well with my Ivy/Ivie/Ivey family of London, tracing back with certainty to 7xgreat grandfather Robert Ivy.

Info I have on him is as follows:

Married Elizabeth Manning, 29 May 1707 at St Leonards, Shoreditch and had ten children between 1710-1724, the eldest John being my 6xgreat grandfather. Adress on the children's baptisms is Hollywell Street Shoreditch. He appears on 'London Lives' in a document from 1726, described as "late Scavenger of the Liberty of Holliwell Street in the Parish of St Leonard Shoreditch". Hollywell Street is also given on his burial : "13 Sep 1753 Robert Ivy of Hollywell Street aged 74".

The burial would give a birth year around 1678/9 but I cannot find a baptism.

However I can find Ivy's in Hollywell Lane. Specifically an Edmond Ivy, who was buried with this given as his adress in 1693: Buried St Leonard`s Shoreditch 5 March 1692/3 "Edmond Ivey, of Hollywell Lane"

I'm thinking Edmond is a possible candidate for Robert's grandfather. He is listed on the 1666 Hearth Taxes in Shoreditch at Tillyard, liable for two hearths. He was married the year before this:

"1665 July 13 Edmund Ive, of St Leonard`s, Shoreditch, Middlesex, , Widower , about 43, and Susanne Rawlins, of the same, Spinster , about 36, at own dispensation alleged by George Cotterill, Parish Clerk of the aforesaid at St Leonard`s after ."

(This allowed me to find Edmonds own baptism in 1622 at Norton Folgate, parents John and Elizabeth Ivy.)

I can find no children to this second marriage of Edmond's, but his first marriage to a 'Dinah' produced at least three children:

Edmond Ivy buried Shoreditch Nov 1649
    Edmond Ivy II baptised and buried Shoreditch June 1651
    John Ivy baptised Shoreditch Apr 1655

Now my initial thinking was John 1655 is likely father of Robert Ivy in 1679, he'd be about right age 24. However withough a baptism for Robert this lacks real proof.

Further still Edmond and his second wife Susan Rawlins/Ivy both left wills and there is no mention of their son John 1655, just two daughters whose baptisms I cannot find. Nor any mention of any grandchildren. Edmond does leave money to his 'dear loyal brother' John, so there is clearly another related but undocumented family of Ivy's knocking about to further confuse matters!

If anyone can help try and identify how Robert IVY (1679-1753), might link to Edmond IVY (1622-1693), be it grandson or grand nephew, I'd be very pleased to be able to trace this family back further with certainty.

Richard
    Last edited by Richard; 20-07-11, 16:32.

hi Robert Ivy was my 6 x Grandfather nice to meet you

Comment

Hi Val, I forgot I had Ivy relatives on this board! We have swapped info before, I think you've had a browse round my tribal pages site. As you can see I have updated it all a bit since then, and still very much working away at it. Interested to hear if you have had any luck on the Ivys. I have also got a bit further back on the Hemin family of Shoreditch, Lucretia Hemin who married Robert's son John and is my 6xgreat grandmother, your 5x!

Best regards

Richard
      Last edited by Richard; 21-07-11, 12:06.

Comment

oh I did wonder if we had talked before ? I have managed a bit more I hope its right ? not sure if you have it ??? Lucretia Hemins Born 12 2 1711 ,parents were John Hemin and Anne Starkey both born abt 1680 married 20 Feb 1706 in St Ethelburga Bishopsgate.
        And not sure what others you dont have ???

I had a look for an Edmond yesterday but had no luck as yet ? got to go out in a minute but back later
        Last edited by Guest; 21-07-11, 12:46.

Comment

Hi Val

That does match with the info I have for Lucretia. I also have her mother as Ann Starkey b. 1680-died. Jan 1753 Hollywell Street, Shoreditch, Middlesex, father John Hemin b.Jul 1685 Hollywell Street, Shoreditch, Middlesex died,Mar 1733 Hollywell Lane, Shoreditch, Middlesex. Married St Ethelburga Bishopsgate, London:" John Hemin and Ann Starkey Married Feb 20 1706/7 by Lycense"

John Hemin's parent's, Lucretia's grandparent's, I have as Robert Hemin and Mary Remnan who married 03 Oct 1675 at St Dunstan`s, Stepney, Middlesex. Robert's parish was Spitalfields, Mary's Shoreditch.

They had following children:

Samuel Hemin b. June 1676 Steven Yard, York Street, Shoreditch
          Nathan Hemin b. Jun 1678 York Street, Shoreditch, Middlesex
          ? Hemin b.Apr 1679 Aldgate, London
          Nathan Hemin b. Dec 1680 Aldgate, London
          John Hemin b.Jul 1685 Hollywell Street, Shoreditch, Middlesex
          Mary Hemin b. Jul 1687 Hollywell Street, Shoreditch, Middlesex

The spelling varies on the documents Hemin/Hemming/Hemon/Hemmond etc

Robert was a brewer and victualler in Shoreditch. There is a record of him leasing the use of a watercourse in Holywell Street, St Leonard in 21 Jan 1700. He also had a year long stint from Jan 1708-Jan 1709 as a chuch warden at St Leonard's.

He died at Hollywell Street in April 1714 and left a will which is on Ancestry London collection. This mentions John and Mary, and the widow and children of his eldest son Samuel. Nathan is not mentioned so perhaps also died in infancy.

Havn't been able to get any further back. There is a Nathanial Hemin having children in right area in 1650's, and given he called two sons Nathan might be Robert's father, but not found a baptism to prove that.

Comment

sorry had to go out you have done great haven't you ? will go through what you have and compare with mine .

Comment

Working...
            X