X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union House

Hi,

Just a quick question.

I have found the christening of a relative, Robert Tatham, in ancestry's LMA records. The christening was in 1842. Link

The abode is given as Union House. Am I right in thinking that the Union House was the Workhouse? There is several children christened on the same day all from the Union House, including a Foundling!

Thanks,
    Tippin
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

I think that's much the most likely explanation. They usually specify which Union, but probably felt that bit should be obvious to a reader, and so redundant information.Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This Westminster City Archive document may help.

According to this document, St Anne's parish was transferred to the Strand Union in 1837. Perhaps they were still using the building in Rose Street, which is why they were baptised at St Anne's as opposed to the church for the Cleveland Street workhouse.I know that a few unions in Essex took a few years to get themselves organised and bring everyone together under one roof.
      Phil
      historyhouse.co.uk
      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Hi Christine & Keldon,

Thanks for your replys.
        It certainly does look like it is the workhouse, and thanks for the link Keldon.

Tippin
        Families Intrested in
        Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

Working...
        X