Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello there newbie to the site saying hi and asking for help already!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello there newbie to the site saying hi and asking for help already!

hello there im kylie , looking forward to spending some time on here. Was wondering if anyone could help me out? Have been researching my family history for a few years now and have done pretty well with most of the resaerch ive done BUT have hit a brick wall when it comes to my fathers family if anyone could get me details would be much appreciated. My great grandad was called alfred chambers born 1864 birmingham died 28th march 1936 in redditch wife was called alice annie chambers was southerton. died 25/3/31 redditch. am trying to confirm there parents names age address etc think there were from aston deritend birmingham until they moved to redditch,worcestershire they were definatly in redditch by 1911 as that is when my grandad wilfred chambers was born. thanks kylie :D

Hi Kylie, and welcome to Family Tree Forum.

The first thing to do would be to try to trace Alfred and Alice back through the census, starting with 1911 and working backwards. This would then give you some idea of when and where their first child was born and should lead you to Alfred and Alice's marriage.

Do you have a subscription to either Ancestry or Findmypast - have you found them in the census?
    Elaine

Comment

Just re-reading your first post, I see you already have the maiden name for Alice.

This looks like the registration details for their marriage (and as the 1911 census states they have been married for 23 years this fits in nicely!)
      Marriages Jun 1888
      CHAMBERS Alfred
      SOUTHERTON Alice
      Birmingham volume 6d page 97

If you ordered this marriage certificate it would give you Alfred and Alice's fathers' names, as well as their occupation. You could then use this information to starting tracing them back in the 1881 census, and before.
      Elaine

Comment

If your Alfred Chambers was a Polisher then his parents are Thomas & Sarah.

here he is in 1871

Class: RG10; Piece: 3107; Folio: 66; Page: 30; GSU roll: 839574.
        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

hi elaine i have there marriage down as june 1888, i used to have a membership to ancestory but it has run out and moneys a bit tight at the moment :( i have also found a alfred chambers in 1881 census aged 19 he is a lodger in birmingham but not 100% sure it is the correct man.The main thing i am trying to do is confirm alfreds parents

Comment

hi wendy :D not sure if he was a polisher

Comment

Originally posted by kixxx74 View Post
              The main thing i am trying to do is confirm alfreds parents
              Unless you can find the parish registers then the only real way to be sure is to buy the marriage certificate. I know it's £9.25 which is probably better spent elsewhere, but in terms of genealogy it is important that you have these certificates to make sure you are working back down the correct family line.

I'm not sure what is available online for Warwickshire in terms of parish records - you might find something of use in our Reference Library. Click on the Reference Library tab on the navigation bar at the top of the screen, then click on British Isles Index (in the left hand column) and follow through --> England and then --> Warwickshire.
              Elaine

Comment

o he was found it written on my grandads wedding certificate he was polisher in the cycle trade:p

Comment

Have also found on a wee scrap of paper ( have piles of them ) sarah mabury 1821 kiddiminster and thomas chambers born about 1817 london?

Comment

There is also a tree on Ancestry with alll these details. Owner kylie1974.

Wendy

Comment

Probably the marriage of Thomas and Sarah:
                      Thomas Chambers
                      Sarah Mabury
                      Kings Norton Worcestershire
                      1854 Oct/Nov/Dec qr
                      Vol 6c Page 765
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:
                      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Warwickshire parish record indexed online:
                        www.familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://hr-search-api:8080/searchapi/search/collection/1462403

As far as reducing costs of research: Local libraries may have free access to ancestry & FMP. There's forums like this, but also various online records and indexes.
                        Last edited by PhotoFamily; 19-07-11, 17:10. Reason: oops - indexed, not images

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                          There is also a tree on Ancestry with alll these details. Owner kylie1974.

http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/975...05301150?ssrc=
                          If you look at the OP's details, it's probably her tree!
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes, UJ, which seems to mean she already had all this information......

OC

Comment

That was my point exactly!
                              Wendy

Comment

So where's the brick wall then?
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

hi wendy thats my family tree on ancestory :P

Comment

i have added what i thought was my family details was trying to find out how to confirm that they were definatly the correct family i was tracing. Have spent many hours trying to make sure, will try and order the certificate for the people i need to confirm.

Comment

didnt mean to waste anyones time :(

Comment

wasnt sure how to go about ordering them as all the research i have done was online.

Comment

Working...
                                        X