Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fascinating Cemetery

this Cemetery even had its own Train service from waterloo

I am sure that there is/was another one too Val that had its own private train station. It is interesting though, (only us lot though could find that interesting...lol)
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

ahh it was the same one: it was the London Necropolis train station or something..

Julie

Comment

I'm still looking for a burial of somebody who died in Waterloo so this is a good possibility isnt it ? I only found this tonight googling .
        It makes fascinating reading and they do a search for £12 ?????????

Comment

mmm I think that as it is in private ownership they will charge you, not unless there are records kept elsewhere TNA or something,? I dont know though!
          Julie

Comment

yes the minimum charge is £12 think I can handle that ,might even get it back from a grateful son?;)

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
              ahh it was the same one: it was the London Necropolis train station or something..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funeral_train
              Michael Portillo visited it on his last series of railway journeys. The office entrance in Westminster Bridge Road is still there and you can still see the remains of the station just outside Waterloo station if you know where to look. The rail service ceased in the middle of WWII when a bomb fell on the station and destroyed most of the funeral train.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It's absolutely huge, in two parts on either side of the road and is a fascinating place.
                My OH used to live near Brookwood and once took me there for an afternoon "mystery treat!"

Saddo that I am, I was absolutely delighted! (In all fairness to him, he wanted to show me the wargraves section, but I was keen to explore the lot.)

Jay
                Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
                X