1911 census: Registered mother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census: Registered mother

I have found my great aunt's secret child aged 5 is a boarder under the name of Frederick Crisp (full name was Arthur Frederick Lacey Crisp) together with another child (unrelated) aged 1 in a household in Portsmouth headed by a 63 year old widow Harriet Elizabeth Miller who describes herself as a "Registered mother".

Does this suggest she is fostering in some official capacity? Any ideas as to who would have registered her? Frederick's son knew that he had been brought up by a couple called Neal, and Mrs Miller has a married daughter in the house by that name.

Edit to say:I've found that Portsmouth City Museum & Records Office have a Register of children under control of Guardians (1901-47), so that may well hold the answer.
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 18-07-11, 19:26. Reason: Portsmouth archives

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
    I have found my great aunt's secret child aged 5 is a boarder under the name of Frederick Crisp (full name was Arthur Frederick Lacey Crisp) together with another child (unrelated) aged 1 in a household in Portsmouth headed by a 63 year old widow Harriet Elizabeth Miller who describes herself as a "Registered mother".

Does this suggest she is fostering in some official capacity? Any ideas as to who would have registered her? Frederick's son knew that he had been brought up by a couple called Neal, and Mrs Miller has a married daughter in the house by that name.

Edit to say:I've found that Portsmouth City Museum & Records Office have a Register of children under control of Guardians (1901-47), so that may well hold the answer.
    Sounds like you've found the answer. Guardians will mean the Board of Guardians who administered the workhouse and often arranged for young children , orphans or children whose parents couldn't care for them, to be fostered out rather than keeping them in the workhouse.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

The mother's parents were relatively well off and would have been able to pay for the child's care but we don't know whether they ever knew of his existence. We think her sister must have known as he was born in the same building that she lived in, but they may both have conspired to keep the secret.

Happily, Arthur Fredrick's son was able to find my branch of the Crisps and we have met up.

Comment

Jill
        Thank you for the note about the Register.
        I did not know there was such a thing.
        My father and his siblings were looked after by 'aunties' ( not related), after their mother died in Portsmouth when Dad was 4. He had 3 younger siblings and they were cared for at various houses in the city while their father continued his work as a shipwright in the Dockyard.
        This register might give me more information.
        Thank you.

Gwyn

Comment

What a co-incidence! Hope we both strike lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post

Happily, Arthur Frederick's son was able to find my branch of the Crisps and we have met up.
            Sadly, Arthur Frederick Lacey Crisps's son David Crisp died in 2014, we met him several times. His family letters, photos and memorabilia were left to his longtime companion, and, when she was ready she sent them to my uncle who has passed them on to me. Just parking this here in case anyone ever researching their family history looks for him.

His mother was Sarah Grainger (20/4/1908 Dudley-2000 Nottingham) and grandparents were George Henry Grainger (28 Nov 1875 Hartshill, Worcs-1962 Staffordshire) and Florence Kitchen (1878 Dudley - 1911 Dudley) and there are many photos from this side of David's family so not my relations, but I will keep them in the hope that someone one day will want them.

Comment

Working...
            X