Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Family tree come to a stop - dissapointment in no contact (and another question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family tree come to a stop - dissapointment in no contact (and another question)

Hi,
    I would describe myself as a keen amateur.
    I seem to have come as far as I can go with my tree, I have "done" my wife's tree and "had a go" at tree's for a couple of friends.
    I have a couple of questions for you good people.

1. With the other trees I have done I have had various contacts and have shared research with other people etc.
    With my own tree... none at all !
    When you consider there is potential for hundreds of relatives at there no contact !
    I must admit I only have my tree on ancestry, so that probably limits things a bit, but I thought something would have come up by now.
    Have others "waited" and eventually had contact ?

2.Would there be any benefit in contacting a professional genealogist ? (how much more could they do ?)
    I am not saying I am going to go down this route as funds don't allow.

Kind Regards......John

Why don't you give us a few of your queries - the good folk on here are great at making suggestions and it might just be enough to kick start your research.

Edit to add - I am at the moment using a professional to do a wee bit of research. The stuff she is looking at is only available locally to her and hundreds of miles from me. It would cost me a lot more to travel, overnight stay etc than to pay for help. Also I don't have the local knowledge so even if I was to go to the area in question it would be very difficult.
    I suppose you just have to weigh it up for yourself.
    Last edited by herky; 17-07-11, 17:44.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

yes put some of them on here

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
        Why don't you give us a few of your queries - the good folk on here are great at making suggestions and it might just be enough to kick start your research.
        Ah that's really kind of you, I have had help from the kind people on here in the past and dont like to keep on asking.
        Regards...... John

Comment

Originally posted by john_harvey View Post

1. With the other trees I have done I have had various contacts and have shared research with other people etc.
          With my own tree... none at all !
          When you consider there is potential for hundreds of relatives at there no contact !
          What program do you use for storing your family tree? The reason I ask is that Family Tree Maker links in with Ancestry and very often gives links to other trees on Ancestry which have a match to names in your tree.

There are other sites where you can upload your tree at no cost, e.g. Genes Reunited, Tribal Pages. I would certainly recommend the latter.

Add your research names to our Surname Directory in the Reference Library. This is a public section of the site and the entries get picked up by web spiders, which means other researchers may come across your entry at some stage.

Add your names to our Ancestral Anniversaries section - it is a perpetual calendar of events where you can record birth, baptism, marriage, death or burial details of direct ancestors. As above, this is in the public domain and will be picked up by search engines.

Have you added your data to our GEDCOM database, searchable by name or place. Uploading your GEDCOM file allows others to see if matches can be made to your research names, in the same way that you can see if other members are following similar ancestral lines as yours.

Add some of your research data to a blog. All members have access to their own blog, accessed via the link on the navigation bar. You can use this for publicising the names you are researching, an interesting piece of research you have undertaken or details of a brickwall that you hope might be solved by making contact with others. Whatever you choose, and providing the blog is set to be public, the content will again be picked up by search engines and may lead to new information being received.

By doing all or any of the above you are getting your research names out on the world wide web... and hopefully sometime in the future you may receive contact from someone researching the same names as you.

Would there be any benefit in contacting a professional genealogist ?
          I would start with FTF first!
          Not sure what a professional genealogist could do that some of the FTF more experienced researchers couldn't!
          Elaine

Comment

Professional genealogists only use the same resources as everyone else - they don't have some secret supply of records! Put your queries up here, that's the whole purpose of the forum.

I very rarely get contacts for my direct line and I think this is down to the fact that it has practically died out, although I did have an astonishing contact with a third cousin I didn't even know existed. Normal research had not uncovered him and a professional genealogist wouldn't have uncovered him either.

I also answered a very old post from 1999, regarding a possible ancestor and by a miracle the lady still had the same email addy. It turned out we shared a 2 x GGF (but different GGMs). She did not know about the first marriage and I did not know about the second, so we were very pleased to make contact.

Genealogy is a long game and patience is everything. Elaine makes some very good suggestions for contacts and I agree, the more places you have a version of your tree the more likely you are to have a contact.

Don't forget good old google. It has thrown up lots for me by using the more unusual names, the places and also the MISSPELLINGS of names and places - if your man is mistranscribed as Bolggs on a census, google that and you may just find a relative who has also found the misspelling.

OC

Comment

Thanks Elaine & OC.
              I am using FTM at the moment.

I dont want to mislead, I have done ok, especially with my Dad's line (the Harvey's) right back to the early 1700's with help from the Goudhurst archives. (Like everyone though I would like to "put some more meat on the bones")
              I would especially like to get more information on My Dad's mothers side of the family (the Vincents) and my European (German ?) branch, this being my Dad's Grandmother Elizabeth Von Spriedenberg. (or whatever the flippin spelling is )

Thanks again...... John

PS I cant beleive that this has only just come to me (and I know the only family I have left will be the only ones who might be able to help)
              My second name is Kevin and I dont know why !!!
              There are no Kevins in the family at all, so were this came form I have no idea.
              Why has it taken me 51 years to think of this ? :o :o :o

Comment

If you give us some names dates and places, lets see if any of us can unravel more of your tree.

Jan

Comment

Thanks Jan, Literally just got a call to go in to work so will come back to this thread asap.
                  Thanks again....John

Comment

Found on Familysearch, could this be a possibility

Edna

Elizabeth Mary Ann Von Spredingburg Chislehurst, Kent, England date:10 Feb 1850 baptism Father is Joshua Francis Von Spredingburg mother Loisa

Comment

Hi John
                      I presume it isn't the Betsy Von Spendingbourg marriage to Thomas Harvey in 1883 at St Thomas Church Stepney ? It caught my eye with her marrying a Harvey. I saved the image of the marriage cert if you haven't got it.
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                        Hi John
                        I presume it isn't the Betsy Von Spendingbourg marriage to Thomas Harvey in 1883 at St Thomas Church Stepney ? It caught my eye with her marrying a Harvey. I saved the image of the marriage cert if you haven't got it.
                        Thanks Chrissie, Yes that is my Great Nan.
                        So as not to mislead anyone I have asked about this before.
                        I have the marriage cert thanks Chrissie, what I have never been able to find is her birth certificate ?
                        Apparentley she was born in Whitechapel in 1860 ?
                        I have a couple of incorrect certificates for her, she seems a bit elusive.
                        Kind regards John

PS There seems to be so many spelling variations of this name and at some point the name is changed to plain Francis !

Comment

To go back to the original post and apologies for those who already know some of this;

I started researching my birth family five years ago, my ongoing tree has been online for around five years, I have used GR in the past but now it's only hosted on Ancestry and TP, I did also have an FTM website before the support was withdrawn, total contacts via all of these sites = two, both were name gathering types who although related seemed more intent on quantity rather than quality.

I have however managed to contact a large number of living relatives who neither knew about me or who had any interest in family history, although it's fair to say none have really been bitten by the bug and started researching many of them have taken an interest and look through family papers, photographs etc and share things with me. If I hadn't gone down the route of tracing these living relatives then I would never know half of what I presently do. I have also been contacted by one or two relatives who have been researching for many years, they actually found me via posts genealogy forums and introduced themselves by responding to threads I had started.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Don't dismiss GenesReunited for finding people with the same family as yours. You don't need to join to search through the list. If you find a promising one you could either join or ask someone on here to contact them for you. Many potential contacts will either turn out to be poor researchers or never reply but I have had some valuable ones who I would never have found without Genes.

I have also had a couple of real gems from FTF!!!

Anne

Comment

Thanks Chrissie, Yes that is my Great Nan.
                              what I have never been able to find is her birth certificate ?
                              Apparentley she was born in Whitechapel in 1860 ?
                              I have a couple of incorrect certificates for her, she seems a bit elusive.
                              Kind regards John
                              John,

you might not find a birth certificate for her either, you might only find a baptism, as I think it was 1875 when it became compulsory and ALL births had to be registered.
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                John,

you might not find a birth certificate for her either, you might only find a baptism, as I think it was 1875 when it became compulsory and ALL births had to be registered.
                                Thanks Julie, I wasn't aware of that.
                                A baptism record would be nice though.
                                Thanks again John

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                  Don't dismiss GenesReunited for finding people with the same family as yours. You don't need to join to search through the list. If you find a promising one you could either join or ask someone on here to contact them for you. Many potential contacts will either turn out to be poor researchers or never reply but I have had some valuable ones who I would never have found without Genes.

I have also had a couple of real gems from FTF!!!

Anne
                                  GR - Yes indeed. Only two days ago I had a really good contact from here. I had "lost" a lady after 1861 - the contact had picked her up in 1862, when she married into the contact's family. Now we are BOTH in possession of the cradle to grave story!;D

Jay
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I have an paid account with genes reunited if you need something from there...

Craig
                                    Craig

Comment

Yes I would put your tree on Genes Reunited, Tribal Pages and Ancestry.

Also put any queries on rootsweb. I got a reply couple of weeks ago to message left in 2005.

Last year I had a contact from someone in America who's grandmother was related to our gggf. She had photographs over 100 years old of our grandparents which no-one in our large family had got (very few photographs exist).

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by JBee View Post
                                        Yes I would put your tree on Genes Reunited, Tribal Pages and Ancestry.

Also put any queries on rootsweb. I got a reply couple of weeks ago to message left in 2005.

Last year I had a contact from someone in America who's grandmother was related to our gggf. She had photographs over 100 years old of our grandparents which no-one in our large family had got (very few photographs exist).
                                        Thanks have uploaded my tree to GR and have done the same with Tribal pages.
                                        Cheers John

Comment

Working...
                                        X