limerick birth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• limerick birth

Could any one help me with tracing my GGrandfather Patrick Obrien.He was born 1855 possibly in Limerick,as he was in the 64th Limerick ? regiment.His parents were Patrick Obrien,labourer, and Helen Malony ,both deceased on Patricks`s marriage cert. I have all the family from 1875 when he married Bridget Gilhooley.in Haddington, East Lothian. I believe he came to Dunbar , East Scotland, before 1874, with his regiment Her parents were Michael Gilhooly and Ann Mc Glynn, I think were born in Ireland.
    But can`t find where he was born or siblings. Anyone help. Thanks Julip

I don't think civil registration of births in Ireland start before 1864 so you would be reliant on baptism. Have you tried www.familysearch.org ? They have an increasing number of Irish records coming online.
    Otherwise have a look in the reference section on this site for links to sites that might help.
    Margaret

Comment

Hi Julip,

Have you got your tree on Ancestry there is someone one there with these people?

Linda

Comment

Try findmy past for soldiers records where you will find exact place and date of birth, unless he falsified age. Remember that Ireland was part of the UK in the 1800's so all "Irish" army records were British. Baptisms only, not births were recorded pre 1864 but as 80% of people were RC then most were baptised within a few days of birth.

Janet

Comment

Hi Linda, I do have my tree on Ancestry,hoping someone will see it ,thanks

Julip

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
            Try findmy past for soldiers records where you will find exact place and date of birth, unless he falsified age. Remember that Ireland was part of the UK in the 1800's so all "Irish" army records were British. Baptisms only, not births were recorded pre 1864 but as 80% of people were RC then most were baptised within a few days of birth.

Janet
            Thanks for advice Janet, will check this one out

Julip

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
              I don't think civil registration of births in Ireland start before 1864 so you would be reliant on baptism. Have you tried www.familysearch.org ? They have an increasing number of Irish records coming online.
              Otherwise have a look in the reference section on this site for links to sites that might help.
              Margaret
              Thanks Margaret, I have checked it out, but nothing seems to come up.Will keep trying , re reference.

Julip

Comment

rootsireland has many patrick obriens born in Limerick in 1855, and unfortunately, County Limerick isn't yet up on the advanced search.

Comment

Thanks photofamily for advice.The problem is Patrick Obrien is such a common name it`s like Smith in Britain.I have contacted someone on Rootsireland who has a couple of names in my family.Fingers crossed !

Julip

Comment

Working...
                  X