1841 map of middlesex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1841 map of middlesex

my ancestor says he wasn't born in middlesex in 1841. fair enough it could be a mistake, but if he wasnt born in middlesex, he could still be born in london. is there anywhere i can see where the boundaries for middlesex were? i can only seem to find boundary changes in the late 19th century.

I'm fairly certain that for administrative purposes London was Middlesex north of the river and Surrey south. If you look at the drop down list of counties on the Ancestry census pages you'll find that London isn't listed until 1871, and even then people still tended to say that they were born in Middlesex.
    Sue

Comment

Have you found him in any other census - if so where does he say he was born?
      Elaine

Comment

he and his wife died in 1844 elaine, so i dont know where either was born. he says not born in county, and she says she was. i have found a possible baptism, but it is bethnal green, and im wondering whether that was part of middlesex for 1841. normally id look around westminster for his baptism, which is where they were living from 1800-1844.

his kids when i can find them usually say london or marylebone, when they were born holborn or westminster haha.

thanx sue, i had gathered south of the thames was surrey and kent, far east you find essex, and north you get hertford. extreme west you get berkshire. but the family lived in westminster area, which is middlesex. so im wondering how far sideways middlesex extended. im just not having any luck with either husband or wife!! haha im going to go insane i think......

Comment

Bethnal Green 1841 census, county = Middlesex.
          Elaine

Comment

i thought so. im really struggling with this. mayb i should ignore the not born in county, and wait for ancestry to decide they need the westminster archives in their records!!

Comment

If he was in Westminster 1800 - 1844 then surely the No on the 1841 census would mean not born in City of Westminster, so he could have been born in Middlesex.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

this site may or may not help you with middlesex / london maps.

Middlesex maps
                Craig

Comment

thanx for that judith. im not really sure what to think. i will have to find the christenings i found, and see where they are. all east end i think, but the family doesn't give any links for east london.

thank you cpdavis, that was a handy site. i cant believe i couldnt find it.

ive only managed to find 2 possibles, there are a few child deaths for the others. one was in bethnal green, and the other was lambeth. im hesitant too, because i have not found any for the right surname. these are all a surname that is completely different, but gets mistranscribed as the right surname sometimes.

Comment

I have one of OH's ancestors who was "Not born in Middx" in 1841 and had died before 1851. It's so disappointing. I did manage to get a bit more info about him, because his third marriage was after 1837, so there was a register entry with his father's name and occupation.

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                      thank you cpdavis, that was a handy site. i cant believe i couldnt find it.
                      You're welcome... there are some old map sites out there, i just google for them mostly. As my ancestors were mainly from London it certainly gets the brain ticking when trying to find London ancestors that are listed as middlesex or surrey etc on the censuses.

Craig
                      Last edited by cpdavis35; 17-07-11, 15:19.
                      Craig

Comment

christine it is so frustrating!! haha kids werent all together either. 1801, 1817, and 1824 and 6. though it is definently the same couple.

for once cpdavis, i was pleased to have a map of london in my hands! i could see where all the places were, made it easier to think on it. dont think i will have luck until westminster has some records online though.

Comment

Working...
                        X