Canadian Cemetery help first class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Cemetery help first class

I wrote to the person in charge of a Cemetery in Canada where I knew a couple of my rellies were buried , not only did he hand write a letter telling me who by and when the Graves were purchased ,but sent a whole list of the names dates of Births Deaths and Burials including some I did not know of with the same surname, he also sent me Photos of the Headstones for free, and added if I needed anything else he would be pleased to help me .
    Isn't that kind.

Yes, I had a similar experience with a Canadian Cemetery. I thought maybe most of the people working in these places would be descended from families in the UK so maybe they have a lot of empathy with those of us who are searching.
    Margaret

Comment

Not had such a good experience in this country though.

Comment

I did from the Cemetary Office Forfar, Angus - they too sent me all the details of 3 adjoing plots purchased by a mother and son -OH's grandparents were in one and there were loads in the others with different surnames (then able to find marriages) one included the stillborn child of OH grandparents. They only ever had one living child and so that indicates the reason.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I generally find other countries much nicer to deal with, dont know why this is though .

Comment

I had great help at Southborough Cemetery in Tunbridge Wells.

I had found the grave of one of my Grandad's sisters who died in 1926 and we went down and found the grave complete with headstone.

A man was walking around and asked us if we were o.k. He lived on site as the caretaker and had been there for 35 years. I said that I would have thought that my Grandad's other two sisters would likely have been buried there, they were all spinsters and he went back to his house and came back with a ledger and found the place that the other two sisters were buried together in the 1960's. There was no gravestone so we would never have known but he looked at his map and found the place for us.

We stood talking to him for ages, a very interesting man who went out of his way to help us

Linda

Comment

isnt it lovely when that happens ?

Comment

I have over the last few days been looking at burial books, I have managed to kill off a few of my rellies :smilee: BUT three of them, I know when they died and where they lived, can I find them in the burial book?? can I heck as like.... I have even tried other books of nearby cemeteries, but no luck, so now it makes me wonder IF they died in a hospital and they were buried/cremated nearer to the hospital
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                X