missing grand father

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• missing grand father

I am trying to get a copy of the death cert. for RICHARD ALLEN or a copy of the obit.

Died in Leeds,Yorkshire between July,Aug,Sept. 1940, age 58. Death register 9B, page 613.

If I can see the names of his parents or siblings I may be able to see if this is the correct Richard Allen, then the mystery will be solved.

TY
    MB

A copy of your parent's marriage cert and birth certs will give quite a bit of information about him to establish a starting point. Your grandfather's death cert will give you an address where he died (if it was at home) and an informant which could be his wife or one of his children if you are lucky. It will also give his occupation. you will need all of these before you can go backwards in time. Are you able to get your parents certificates?

Or do you not know how to get your grandfathers death cert from the GRO?

....And welcome to Family Tree Forum, Mary
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 15-07-11, 23:49.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Richard Allen deserted his family in Wash.,DC in April 1920. It is presummed he returned to England. I have all the info on his wife and children who lived and died in DC. None of his family here knows what happened to him. Richard was born in Bradford to Richard Allen & Agnes Mary Jones in Oct. 1881.

I do not know how to get his death certificate or an obit.

Any help will be appreciated.

MB

Comment

Welcome Mary.
        Here's the link to the official GRO website where you can order the death certificate with the details you have. It will cost £9.25
        https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp
        I
        f there was an obituary it would probably be in a local newspaper. Once you have the death cert you will have a clearer idea of where in the Leads area he lived and so which paper to look for. I doubt you will find papers from this period online so may need to ask for a look up in local records office or library.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Lets hope you are lucky Mary. Having looked at the deaths there is only one for Yorkshire apart from servicemen for 1940+/-5yrs. Of course he could be anywhere and have died at anytime after 1920 if no-one has heard from him since he left. Fingers crossed and please let us know the result and if we can help with newspaper look ups etc for you.

This is probably his will:

Interestingly this record was saved to another private members tree on Ancestry Dec 31 2011. You wil see the link on the RHS of this above page.
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 16-07-11, 08:30.
          Kat

Comment

If you want the will you can order it for £5 from the Probate Office
            Leeds District Probate Registry
            3rd Floor
            Coronet House
            Queen Street
            Leeds, LS1 2BA
            Tel: 0113 386 3540

Comment

No - neither the Yorkshire Evening News nor the Yorkshire Evening Post (Local newspapers) are on line, you can get access to them however at the Leeds records Office. I have found the Richard Allen featured in the probate entry buried in Armley Cemetery (Via Yorkshire Indexers). He is buried with 3 other people, an Eliza Wilson, Sidney Wilson Allen and Clara Allen. Clara Allen is the widow of Richard Allen, and looking further into their marriage, they married in 1906, Sidney Wilson Allen is their son and I am assuming Eliza Wilson is Clara's mother. If you are saying that all his family lived and died in Washington DC, I would therefore think that this is not your man.

I hope this is what you wanted.

Chris

Comment

I am sure this is not what Mary wanted.:(
                However it is better to know now than spend money on death certs and wills.
                Is there anything else you can tell us Mary - do you know anything about his parents, Richard and Agnes? Did he go to them on his return to England? Perhaps we could trace his siblings and their descendents somehow.

I cannot see him on any incoming passenger to UK lists.

What was his occupation?....and his father's.
                Last edited by Katarzyna; 16-07-11, 16:00.
                Kat

Comment

This is the only birth I can find that matches the information given although the year is later by 1.
                  Richard Allen
                  Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1882
                  Registration district: Bradford
                  Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding Volume: 9b Page: 134

Comment

Can't see Richard with his parents on any census. When did he go to USA?
                    Margaret

Comment

Here's the marriage for Richard Allen to Agnes Jones
                      Richard Allen
                      Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1870 Registration district: Bradford Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
                      Volume Number: 9b Page Number: 121

Comment

Here's the family in 1881

Father Richard is a Police Constable.

Comment

Girlingham and Bolton are areas in the Manningham part of Bradford. On the censuses some of the children born Bolton Bradford.

I wonder if this could be him?
                          U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925
                          Richard Allen, father Richard Allen -Born Bolton England. 11th February 1882
                          Living NY NY, Steel erector. Applied for passport 6 June 1919 to go to France from NY to work Erecting Wireless Tower - leaving NY 9 June 1919

It gives a photo of him on page 2 and an Address to which the passport should be sent. This has been crossed out and says “Will Call” Also a letter from his Company re the Urgency of the application.

Emigration date 1910 from Liverpool to NY

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uspassports&h=1067830&ti=5538&indiv=try &gss=pt&ssrc=pt_t28307908_p12027903564_kpidz0q3d12 027903564z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgPLz0q3dpid

Scrap this - found him in 1910 census as Woollen worker in Washington I Think !!!
                          Last edited by Katarzyna; 16-07-11, 18:21.
                          Kat

Comment

This is them in 1891

RG12; Piece: 3635; Folio 121; Page 7;

father Police constable

RG13; Piece: 4160; Folio: 108; Page: 29
                            retired Police Constable
                            Son Richard not on this census. If he is the one applying for the passport then he should be on 1901 census somewhere.
                            Last edited by Katarzyna; 16-07-11, 17:31.
                            Kat

Comment

Oh dear, I think this is them on 1810 census working in woollen mill as he did in Bradford. Married to Rose?
                              http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=11182212, Maynard, Middlesex, Massachusetts
                              Year: 1910; Census Place: Maynard, Middlesex, Massachusetts; Roll: T624_602; Page: 18B; Enumeration District: 0925; Image: 442; FHL Number: 1374615.

Rose was born England 1884

It looks like they emigrated in 1905

But maybe not LOL as naturalisation papers give b Stocton, and a gardener. ))
                              Perhaps Mary can tell us when she comes on later.
                              Last edited by Katarzyna; 16-07-11, 18:27.
                              Kat

Comment

Here's a tree on ancestry with father Richard listed http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/145...52530358?ssrc=

Comment

and another http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/100...act/9386393193

Comment

There's also one on Genesreunited with Agnes Jones b1847 in it. So plenty of scope for finding the rest of the family who may know what happened to Richard b 1881

Comment

Here's father Richard in 1911
                                      ALLEN, Richard Head Married M 68 1843 Police Pensioner Formerly Of The Grandier Guards Laverton Kirby Malzeard Ripon Yorks
                                      ALLEN, Agnes Wife Married 40 years F 64 1847 Huntington Huntingtonshire
                                      ALLEN, Agnes Daughter Single F 33 1878 Cloth Burler And Mender Bradford Yorkshire
                                      ALLEN, Esther Daughter Single F 31 1880 Plush Weaver Bradford Yorkshire
                                      ALLEN, Alice Daughter Single F 22 1889 Cloth Burler And Mender Bradford Yorkshire

RG14PN26793 RG78PN1541 RD498 SD3 ED30 SN221

Registration District:Bradford Sub District: Manningham Enumeration District: 30 Parish: Bradford

Address: 373 Kensington Street Bradford County: Yorkshire (West riding)

Comment

Thank you. I have requested a death cert. today.
                                        MB

Comment

Working...
                                        X