Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Library: British Library

Hi
    Can anyone help. I am looking for a newspaper article. Henry Duck emigrated to New Zealand/Australia leaving behind his son Charles (William Charles) to be brought up by his Grandparents. Before he died his son in law William Elam placed an advert in a national newspaper asking for information on the family in New Zealand/Australia. Charles died in 1911 having been born c 1834 either Bath or Calne Wiltshire. I understand the family replied to this advert.

I have found reference to a Henry Duck dying in Australia at his son's home having emigrated 50 years previously. The obituary mentioned son Charles of England and I would like to establish that they are one and the same.

Is anyone able to look through old newspapers say from 1899 to 1911 at the Briths Library?

Thank you.
    Helen

Welcome to FTF, Helen!

I went to Colindale (The BL Newspaper Archive) once, and it was fascinating... I was looking through about six months of a single local newspaper. I spent most of the day there.

Have you had a look to see if your local library gives you access to the Times Digital Archive Online? (Many do - I can use my Herts Library membership number as a log-in, for example, and they also have the BL C19th Newspaper Collection, too.)

Having said that, I've had a quick look in both, without finding anything likely.

It might be worth looking around to see what other sources of online newspaper transcriptions there are. Once you start looking, it's surprising how much there is around.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 15-07-11, 23:43.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

British Library

Hi Christine

Thank you for your advice. I will contact my local library and see what they can offer.

Regards
      Helen

Comment

Have a look at your library's website - you may find just the resource you need "hiding in plain view"!

When I say that my library gives me access to those resources - I mean from my home computer!

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

British Library

Hi Christine

Thnks for your note. I have been searching the newspapers available through my local libary but to no avail.

The info I have suggested the advert was placed in the News of the World! not sure if this national paper was sent to NZ or Australia. I think a trip to London will have to take place sometime.

Once again thank you for your assistance.

Helen

Comment

I don't know where NoW archives would be held. I believe that the BL newspaper archive is still in Colindale.Christine

Comment

Working...
            X