• Show
Clear All

• Occupation query ?

what does this occupation mean? thanks

Basket Maker of Hounds

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
    what does this occupation mean? thanks

Basket Maker of Hounds
    Can you give the context? because it does read a bit like a mistranscription.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Val, what census is it on please? Without the "basket" Id have thought it was Master of Hounds

Comment

its on a baptism for a Noah Stanley 20 Jun 1841 Hampshire
        says parents John and Mary
        extra notes Basket Maker of Hound

Comment

Presume that is from FMP. I think it maybe a mistranscription - have you found the family in the 1841 census to check on the occupation?
          Elaine

Comment

There's a place in Hampshire called Hound - do you think it could be that?
            Jackie

Comment

hi and thanks the family were Hawkers but in 1871 the father is a Loader ?????????

Comment

I cant find them in 1841 but that makes sense Jackie thanks

Comment

Is this them?

HO107, piece 402, book 9, folio 9, page 14 in Hound. Can't make out John's occupation but there are a lot of basket makers and sellers there
                  Jackie

Comment

thanks Jackie that looks like maybe his father ? suppose Noah may have been born after the census was taken? thanks so much

Comment

Then perhaps there's some missing punctuation? and a redundant "s"?

"Basket-maker, of Hound" would make more sense, in that case?

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Val, I checked on the Hampshire Baptism disc and Noah Stanley was baptised in the parish of Southampton St Mary Extra, the church itself was at Itchen, which is just up from Hound. I did some checking into this church some time ago, as some of mine were baptised here, and it was evidently quite popular as otherwise it was a long way round into Southampton itself, as there was no other way of crossing the river.

Linda
                        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I agree, if its on a baptism, they would sometimes give the home place of the parents and that would make sense that he is a Basket Maker and comes from the village of Hound.

Comment

thanks everybody I had never heard of the place called Hound otherwise I may have guessed right .

thats interesting Linda would you be able to look for somebody else on that disc please

Comment

Sure Val, fire away.
                              Linda

Comment

I'm looking for his Son's Noah Stanley born 1868 Alton Hampshire thanks

Comment

Sorry Val, I'm afraid the discs only go up to 1841. However, I'm hoping for a visit down to the Hampshire record office next week (want to fit it in before our holiday, so I can take the info to my sister), so I'll see if I can find him there. Anything else? I have the baptism cd's for Hampshire (1752 - 1841) and the marriage CD's (1660- 1837).

Linda
                                  Linda

Comment

thanks for that Linda dont worry its not urgent nice of you to offer though.

Comment

Working...
                                    X