Commoners Grave update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commoners Grave update

Some might remember I posted way back in April time about my Grandad being buried in a commoners grave,along with lots of others as they did,I had the proper refernce for it,and then a while later they started building ready made graves on top of him ! So i queried it and said how upset I was,they came back and said its because of lack of room these theys etc etc, but were very sorry I was upset,and would I like a Seat and an inscriped plaque on it with words of my choice, well yes I would.
    Some might say it was guilt on there part but at least I have a seat.We went there last week and they have put it in front of the mound that the new graves are on,in the Avenue that runs all around, but thats ok,so really I am pleased.just goes to show,it pays to complain.Now I am off for my next problem I have had for years.
    regards Patti

*******always searching*********
    for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

thats lovely Patti, though just a shame that they had to re-use the ground.. but a lovely outcome all the same, I hope you remembered to take photographs?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes I did take some,its a nice end to lots of waiting.
      regards Patti

*******always searching*********
      for Bracey.Speck.Gusterson.Taylor.Livermore.

Comment

well, like you say its a nice end, and another little problem tied up :smilee:
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Many old churches have a churchyard that can be as much as a couple of feet higher than the doorways. That's because of repeated reuse of the same ground for burials.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

In the past, I believe that the bones were dug up and stored (respectfully) so that the spaces could be re-used. ? "Charnel House"... yes... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charnel_house

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
            X