Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rose Ann Webber - Inmate Winchester Christchurch Prison

Good Evening All,

Rose Ann Gallaher married Henry Webber in Birkenhead Q1/1878. They had 11 children, 2 of whom died in infancy. The 1st nine kids were born in Birkenhead and the last 2, Nellie(Q2/1900) & Frederick John (Q2/1903) were registered in Southampton.

Rose Ann appears with her husband & family in teh 1881 & 1891 census in Birkenhead, but in 1901 he says he is widowed and is livining in Ichen. However, in the 1911 census Rose Ann reappears as his wife. I believe that Rose Ann was an inmate of Christchurch prison in 1901 and Henry claimed widower status out of embarrassment.

I am anxious to find out why Rose Ann was imprisoned and for how long.

I haven't been able to locate any online Court or prison records for this period and I wonder whether any Family Tree Forum member could suggest a possible source of such records. Any suggestion would be most gratefully received.

Regards,

John Bennett

hi,

I found her as an inmate in 1901, as you say, and it looks like she didnt serve very long either, so this narrows it down considerably, she presumably is the mother of Nellie & Frederick? so wouldve done about 3 yrs?
    The best place I can suggest would be to contact Southampton Archives and see if they know where the records of Winchester prison (if any survive) are.

maybe you might find something within our Hampshire page in our Reference Library?

Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Maybe the prison features on the CALM database of Hampshire holdings.

Gwyn

Comment

Working...
      X