staffordshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: staffordshire

Wondered if anyone could look up a newspaper report/inquest of my grandmother's brother's death.

Frederick George Andrews drowned accidentally on 14th July 1899 at the Moor House,Biddulph Staffordshire aged 5. His father, my gt grandfather ,was a gardener for the family at the Moor House. His death certificate shows that an inquest was held on 18th July 1899 by the coroner John Booth.

My late dad had seen an inquest report among his grandparents' papers some years after their deaths but I don't know if it was a write up of the inquest in the local paper or the report itself and I don't know what happened to it.

I know there were a few papers serving the area,the Staffordshire Sentinel?,Biddulph Chronicle,Congleton Chronicle. Not sure if I've got their names right?

Hoping someone might be able to help

Thankyou in advance

Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Have you had a look to see if your local library gives you access to the Times Digital Archive Online? (Many do - I can use my Herts Library membership number as a log-in, for example, and they also have the BL C19th Newspaper Collection, too.)

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine
      I'll check that but I suspect the report would have only been in one of the local papers. The situation was tragic,the family tale goes that the 5 year old Frederick (known as Jack) went with his father to the Moor House on the 14th July 1899,exactly a week after his 5th birthday; it was thought that the little boy had mistaken the plants on the pond for grass and tragically it was his father who found him drowned. I do remember there being a framed photograph at my great grandparents' house of the dead child lying on a couch . I imagine the newspaper report would only be of local interest but you never know?
      Liz

Comment

no luck with times online so have to hope some kind person might be going to stafford record office to look for a report in the archives of the sentinel and/or Biddulph chronicle.Maybe even Congleton Chronicle as the Moor House isn't far from Congleton.

Liz

Comment

Good hunting, Liz!

Have you thought of contacting a local library? Librarians will sometimes help out if you have enough detail to narrow down a search.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Staffs office charges £25 per hour so hope you can get some help ,,
            borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Liz,

have a look here, and try emailing the library.. as you can give them a precise date they may be able to find out more for you

Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thankyou all for your help and advice

I will email the library in the morning Julie,just in case they can help .

Liz

Comment

Let me know how you get on Liz as I've got a similar problem to look up for 2Q 1869 for a Daniel Harrison in Wolstanton area who died as a result of mining accident. I'll need to wait till the death cert arrives for the exact date of death.

Comment

update so far:-
                    I had a very quick reply from the librarian at Biddulph but unfortunately to tell me that they don't have newspaper archives there. However she did give me contact details for Stoke archives and the archivist there replied and said they had received my query and they would aim to respond within 5 working days ! The Biddulph librarian said that Stoke had archives of newspapers and may be able to help me with inquest report too .

Galloway lass I'll let you know how I get on. You might have an easier job as mining accidents seem to be well documented and recorded- I kept stumbling onto them online while looking for my boy!

More soon hopefully

Liz

Comment

I've found a reference online saying there was an accident on 15 June 1869 when the pit roof fell in at Grange ironstone pit, Burslem. D Harrison died as a result.

Comment

The death cert has now arrived and I'm a bit confused. He died on the 14th June, the death was registered on 15th June but the cause of death says he had suffered from his injuries for 5 weeks. So that puts the date of the pit accident around the 10th of May.

How soon after a death is an inquest held? It must have been after 15th June, as the death was registered twice, the second time was by the coroner. I don't have the date of that certificate though.

Comment

That's strange isn't it? On my boy's certificate the date of the inquest is under the heading for the informant of the death and the coroner's the informant and the inquest date is given. That's the only certificate for him but for your man there must be 2. Did a family member register the death on the cert you've got ? I suppose now you have to look for an earlier mining accident?

As you will see from my previous post the inquest was held very quickly after the death.

Liz

Comment

had a reply today from the archivist:
                            Stoke on Trent city archives have copies of Staffordshire Advertiser and Staffordshire Sentinel newspapers on microfilm. They do a search and copy service which costs £11 per 1/2 hour and £1.50 per paper copy. You don't pay till they tell you how much you owe! Copies are sent once payment is received.

In person copies are only 60p. Still hoping someone might be going to Stoke city archives and could look up my inquest. The archives are in the central library on Bethesda street,Hanley and are open Weds 10-7,thurs,friday and saturday 10-2

Liz

Comment

Originally posted by congletonian View Post
                              That's strange isn't it? On my boy's certificate the date of the inquest is under the heading for the informant of the death and the coroner's the informant and the inquest date is given. That's the only certificate for him but for your man there must be 2. Did a family member register the death on the cert you've got ? I suppose now you have to look for an earlier mining accident?

As you will see from my previous post the inquest was held very quickly after the death.

Liz
                              Yes it's very odd. The informant was not a family member as far as I can determine but it says he was present at the death. I found the man and his family living in the same street on the 1871 census as the place of death. Unfortunately for me, there was only North Road, Burslem as place of death, no house number. Also no house number for the informant either.

And it gets odder... someone pointed me to a short report in the Birmingham Post for 17th June 1869 referring to the death of Daniel Harrison on Tuesday last (ie the 15th) as result of an accident at the Grange mine the day before! It's a very short piece with no further helpful info. How on earth can this be possible if he died on 14th June from injuries caused some time before. The wording on the certificate is "column 1 no.312 When and where died Fourteenth June 1869 North Road; column 2 Name and surname Daniel Harrison; column 3 Sex Male, column 4 age 44 years; column 5 Occupation Collier; column 6 Cause of death Paralysis of lower extremities 5 weeks Certified; column 7 Signature, description and residence of informant Herbert Shipley Present at the death North Road Burslem; column 8 When registered Fifteenth June 1869; column 9 Signature of registrar J.W. Powell"
                              Last edited by GallowayLass; 27-07-11, 18:37.

Comment

Working...
                              X