Tunbridge Wells marriage records c.1800 -1814

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tunbridge Wells marriage records c.1800 -1814

I am researching my Pack ancestors from Tunbridge Wells and have found the relevant christening of my 2x great grandmother, Emma Pack (and those of her siblings) in King Charles the Martyr Church in the period 1814 to 1823. I had assumed that there was a good chance that the parents - James Pack and Ann or Hanna - would have married in that same church, but I have just been informed that King Charles the Martyr was a Chapel of Ease until 1889 and that although they did perform christenings, marriages would probably have taken place in one of the 'parent' parishes, ie Tonbridge Frant and Speldhurst. Of course the wife may have been from another parish altogether, but I have to start somewhere! I will be visiting Kent at the end of July and will have limited research time; I would therefore be very grateful if anyone has first hand knowledge of these records and where I might best direct my efforts to look for this marriage between say 1800 and 1814. I cannot progress any further on this line until I find the marriage as I don't have a maiden name for Ann or Hannah - family lore has it that she may have been of German origin. Thanks.

Welcome to FTF!

Have you confined yourself to PACK, or have you allowed for variant spellings?

There's an 1819 baptism for an Emma PAKE in St. Paul's, Deptford, where the parents are also James & Hannah. Of course, if that is actually yours, it suggest that they were moving about - and this could easily be a re-baptism (heretical, and so not allowed, but difficult for a clergyman to prove; and sometimes done to establish the rights to claim parish relief if need at some time in the future).

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have you looked at this website for some PR transcriptions for towns in the Weald of Kent?

Speldhust, Frant & Tonbridge are listed.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks to you both for those leads. I've been away for a few days and will follow them up.
        Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X