A generation gap 1670's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A generation gap 1670's

Right folks, back to my age old problem, just how do you find anything relating to parentage of someone when you know roughly when but not where?

Benjamin Goulson c1677-1731 (he died aged 54 according to varied records), buried in Ropsley, Lincolnshire.

Benjamin Goulson. Born at unknown location, married in 1703 at Broughton Sulney (aka Upper Broughton) to Mary Page. The marriage records shows the spelling as Gulson, though for every later record, including the baptism of the first child in 1704 at Ropsley the spelling is then Goulson throughout.

There are heaps of Goulson/Gulson entries that straddle the Lincs, Leics, Notts borders but can I find a likely Benjamin baptism for the period, only one and the mothers name doesn't appear anywhere else in the tree which for this line is unusual.

I did find an interesting ref on Google books referring to an earlier Theodore Goulson and there is mention of surgeons, now some of the descendants of Benjamin did go onto to become surgeons but does that mean there is potentially a link?

Any suggestions for where Benjamin might have been born or his baptism appreciated. I can't even say what his occupation was but his headstone states he was a reader (whatever that may mean) and a couple of years earlier the death of his servant was recorded at Ropsley.

I have some bits to connect pre 1650 generations of the surname into a generic "Goulson" tree but the gap between those and the 1670's birth i'm looking for mean they are pretty academic as far as my tree is concerned.
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 14-07-11, 12:32.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

A reader is/was a lay member of the church who "preaches and teaches".

They are normally now C of E, but in days of yore, the noncons had lots of "readers".

Don't know if that will help you though, sorry!

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, his son was strongly connected to a nearby church for many years whilst another son and at least two grandsons went on to be surgeons.

Strange thing is this chap mentioned in the book (page 531 if anyone is that interested) was originaly from Leics, his wife finished up in Suffolk which is an area with Goulson family I have never been able to link into.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Don't think Theo is one of mine but adding this for use later

Gulston, Theodore (Goulson) B.A. 1595, neglected to be registered; fellow Merton Coll. 1596, M.A. 8 July, 1600, B. and D.Med. 30 April, 1610, student of Gray's Inn 1606 (s. William, rector of Wymondham, co. Leicester), fellow college of physicians 1611, founder of the Gulstonian lectureship in anatomy; died 4 May, 1632. See Ath. ii. 531; Foster's Gray's Inn Reg.; Munk's Roll, i. 155; O.H.S. iv. 276; & D.N.B.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

And one for Lincoln?

Gulson, William (Goulson) B.A. from Lincoln Coll. 6 July, 1637, did not pay fees, degraded 23 June.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
          X