Help required with Freestone mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help required with Freestone mystery

The problem i have is with my William Freeston's father William Freestone. If i tell you how i came to be where i am you will see my predicament.
    I have followed the Freestones back from my grandmother Evelyn Violet May Freestone who died last year age 100 years old. I have bought certificates all the way back and with census returns and baptisms know i am on the right track.
    I got back to my 3 x g gradfather William Freestone born 1832. He said on all census returns that he was born in Mitcham Surrey. I could find him 1861-1901 no problem but couldn't find him at all in 1851 or 1841. I purchased his marriage certificate 7 May 1853 to Rose Emily Nunn in Whittlesford (next to Sawston) and his father was William Freestone, Leather Dresser.
    On the parish register disc of Whittlesford i also found his marriage to Rose Emily Nunn with the same information so now had two sources of fathers name.
    When Rose Emily Nunn's sister Miriam married in October 1850 William and Rose Emily were witnessess so i knew he was around Cambridge at this time. I eventually tracked William down in Oxford in 1851 census working as a skinner which was his trade like his father.
    By now i had also found a James Freestone born 1826 Beddington Surrey in Sawston working as a skinner so thought there has to be a connection. I bought the transriptions of the poor law records for Cambridge on disc and found a settlement removal order dated 1832 for a William Freestone, his wife Elizabeth and six children, so i sent off to Cambridge Records Office for a copy. It was dated 3rd March 1832 and here is what it said:

Settlement Removal Order from Wallington Surrey to Sawston Cambridge 1832
    Complaint hath been made to us, whose names are hereunto set, and Seals affixed, being Two of His Majesty's Justices of the Peace in and for the County of Surrey aforesaid (one whereof being of the Quorum) by the Churchwardens and Overseers of the poor of the said Hamlet of Wallington that William Freestone and Elizabeth his wife and their six children namely Mark aged about ten years, Sarah aged about eight years (neither of whom hath gained any settlement in his or her own right), Elizabeth aged about six years, James aged about four years, Eliza aged about two years and an infant not yet baptised lately intruded and came into the Hamlet of Wallington aforesaid and are actually become chargeable to the same: We the said Justices, upon proof made thereof, as well upon the examination of the said William Freestone upon oath, as other circumstance, do judge the same to be true, and do also ajudge the Place of the legal Settlement of the said William Freestone and his said wife and children to be in the said Parish of Sawston in the county of Cambridge aforesaid.
    These are therfore in His Majesty's Name. to require you the said Churchwardens and overseers of the Poor, of the said Hamlet of Wallington on sight hereof, to remove and convey the said William Freestone and his said wife and children from out of your said Hamlet of Wallington to the said parish of Sawston . 3rd March 1832
    Signed Samuel Elyard
    Joseph Reid
    Elizabeth was unable to travel due to sickness and infirmity of the body presumably after giving birth and the removal order was delayed until she was fit and recovered and without danger may be conveyed from the parish.
    All above records from Cambridge poor law records from Cambridge Records Office

The Infant not yet named is my 3 xg grandfathr William Freestne born 1832 and i now knew he was born in Wallington Surey. Ths document also confirmed my suspicions that James Freestone was related, he was a brother.
    Then Mary from Italy on here found a letter from William Freestone to the overseer of the poor in Sawston and i got a copy of this letter from Cambridge Records Office. It was dated 16 March 1832 written from Wallington Surrey and it was very long basically with William asking for money as he had no work and needed to support his family on their return to Sawston. In the reply his request was refused as they had given him £5 six months previously but they would guarantee him a job on his return.
    Obviously i thought that with William being returned to Sawston with his family to have parish relief he must have come from there.
    The family returned and in 1833 and 1834 were heavily reliant on parish relief and William Freestone died in 1837 and was buried in Sawston. On the burial it gave his age as 46y giving him a birth year abt 1791. Elizabeth his widow was named in the parish relief register for the December Quarter of 1842 as recieving money. Elizabeth died in 1855 and was burid in Sawston.
    I then found the family mistranscribed in the 1841 census in Sawston.
    I wrote to Cambridge Records Office with what i had found so far and that there was no baptism for William Freestone 1791 in Sawston.
    They did an hours research for me and had found some records of their reliance on poor relief and found a baptism for a William Freestone 1798 in Stapleford son of John Freestone and Rebecca King.
    I then purchased the Stapleford transcripts and found the baptism and the baptism of a brother Thomas in 1794. The fact that John married Rebecca in Sawston, lived in Stapleford, then married Mary Butler and moved to Sawston and raised a family which would have included his two little sons from his first marriage leant weight to my theory. Sawston would have been William's "home parish".
    Then yesterday i made contact with some one on Genes who has John and Rebecca. They have William 1798 Stapleford marrying an Elizabeth Gooby in Haddenham Cambridge in 1822. They had four children, the first two died as infants and the surviving two were William King Freestone and Rebecca King Freestone. This William is still alive in the 1871 census, he dies in 1877.
    This all sounds correct as the children were named for the grandmother and it makes sense. I checked myself and in the census returns this William states place of birth as Stapleford and the years mostly are not too far out.
    My problem then is where on earth did my William come from??
    I have found no marriage for him to Elizabeth. I know there first two children were born in Warwick, Warwickshire from 1822, they then go to Surrey. In the 1851 census Elizabeth gives her place of birth as Colestocks Devon 1799.
    I just don't know what to think.
    I would love to hear any thoughts on this and any information you may have.
    Sorry for the long rambling message!
    Cathy
    cathy x:p
    [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

researching Adams, Freestone, Tribbett, Penny, Batchelor, Head

Hi Cathy,
    Having looked thro' all your censuses for William Shirley Freestone everything looks in order except the 1851 census which gives his birth in Cambridgeshire. But he is a skinner on that and his family were living in Cambridgeshire. Sometimes the answer to the question where were you from instead of where were you born can bring up this hiccup.
    The 1841 census gives place of birth for all the family as out of county altho on the 51 Elizabeth his mother gives Cambs as birthplace. Looking at the image on 1841 it could be Y not an N for Elizabeth.
    All the evidence that you have found adds up to the correct story EXCEPT the baptism of William Freestone b 1798. This was done by the researchers and the date does not tally. It looks as tho' the parents John Freestone and Rebecca King are the wrong ones.
    Where did you get William SHIRLEY from? Was it on his marriage cert? If he had a middle name then that could also indicate that the baptism the researchers found was the wrong one. One expect that to be on his baptism entry.

Edit. Elizabeth was born in Colestocks, DEVON. It has been mistranscribed.
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 13-07-11, 20:14.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Hi Kat
      I got the William SHIRLEY from his obituary and in the 1891 census he is William S Freestone. I gather there is a parish called Shirley quite near to Wallington and thought maybe he was baptised there. Have been trying to find the correct place to ask.
      I think where it went wrong frm the researchers pointof view is that the William Feeston 1798 is just named as that and in all other aspects is known as William King Freestone. But i did wonder as from my William's death in 1837 age 46y gives him a birth year of 1791. I know they can get their ages mixed up but that is quite a big deficit.
      I cannot find a Colestocks in Cambs like Elizabeth has in 1851 only in Devon.
      Cathy
      [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

The image on 1851 clearly shows Devon, Colestock not Cambs

Mitcham is in the hundred of Wallington.
        Last edited by Katarzyna; 13-07-11, 20:58.
        Kat

Comment

Looking at it more closely I think its culmstock not colestocks where Elizabeth was born. I also think William was William churley freestone as he had a grandson with churley as a middle name. Could churley possibly be Elizabeths maiden name
          [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Can't find a place called Colestock in Devon - maybe it is Calstock (which is now in Cornwall)

OC

Comment

I have just found a marriage on igi for William freestone and Elizabeth churley 5 march 1820 banbury oxford . Could this be possible. Thanks oc and kat. If you are able to look at the image what do you think the place of birth says on 1851census
              [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

I love happy endings !!
                1851 census

Colmstock?

Culmstock, Cullompton, Devon, UK
                Last edited by Katarzyna; 13-07-11, 22:29.
                Kat

Comment

that marriage looks good cathy. maybe get a copy to see if their is an occupation for william? or maybe witnesses? he could be from banbury, or warwick. and if that is the correct marriage, it shouldn't be too hard to find info on elizabeth.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think its definately Culmstock Devon then. I need to see if there are any Churleys around there. I will have to get on to the record office in Oxford for a copy of the marriage.
                    The links so far then are William born 1832- middle name Churley
                    William has a grandson with middle name Churley
                    William may have married Elizabeth in Oxford and in 1851 his son William is in Oxford
                    [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

There are a lot of Churley/Churly around Uffculme Cathy, which is close to Culmstock. At a quick glance some have parents John and Elizabeth. I can't see a christening for Elizabeth though. See this page on family search.

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie, i have just had a look on the IGI and yes there are a lot of Churelys so thanks for that. I have had a look at the Devon Family History Society for transcripts of baptisms ect but they don't seem to have anything pre 1813. I think i will have to e-mail the Devon Records Office. It does sound promising though that Elizabeth may have come from there. I have e-mailed Oxford records office about the marriage i found and fingers crossed but may take a week for a reply due to them having work done.
                        [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

On the Oxfordshire marriages disc, the marriage is listed, but only the information you already have: Elizabeth Churley married William Freeston in Banbury, 5 Mar 1820.

Linda
                          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thankyou so much Linda. Will that only be on the register aswell do you think?
                            [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

On the disc it says to see Parish Register for more info, but there may not be any more than that. It's a bit pot-luck.

Linda
                              Linda

Comment

Thankyou, Ok its still worth me getting the records office to have a look then. Have you got any Oxford baptisms at all?
                                [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Yes, I have a disc for the Abingdon Area, Vol 2, Parish Register Transcripts, doesn't cover Banbury area, mostly around Drayton, Appleford, and Nuneham Courtenay. Let me know where, and I'll check for you, more than happy to do look-ups.

Linda
                                  Last edited by ozgirl; 14-07-11, 13:28.
                                  Linda

Comment

ok thanks very much.
                                    [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Well Charles of Wight has been today to see the PRs and found the marriage of William Freeston and Elizabeth Churley 5th March 1820 St Mary Banbury Oxford
                                      witnessess were Samuel Goldby and Charlotte Goldby.
                                      There are no other instancEs of these surnames so they went to the parish for work. There was a sheep market there which would have required skinners. Also Banbury and Warwick are about 18 miles apart which is feasible for the baptism of their first child in 1822.
                                      This now is quite promising as being the right marriage for the right couple. Now i just have to try and tie William to Swston in cambs.
                                      Thankyou Charles
                                      [/I][/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                                      X