Ftm 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ftm 2011

Would love your ideas on this one! I now have over 4000 ancestors on my tree and FTM 2011 seems to be having difficulty with the size of the file, which has started failing to backup. I have been compacting the file as they advise on the Tools menu, but this is now reducing the size by only 0.26% and work is only possible at snail pace. I am used to FTM and would like to keep using this programme if possible. I am happ y to buy alternative/additional software if this would help. Thanks!

I am surprised you are having problems. I have seen FTM handle fairly large file sizes, certainly with 4000+ ancestors.
    Do you have many media items attached to the individuals.
    How much RAM does your computer have?
    Have you tried disabling the connection to Ancestry whilst you are working on the file, to see if that speeds things up.
    Elaine

Comment

I had a massive problem with FTM recently - failing to back up, failing to load to ancestry, freezing up, missing/mixed up[ media files etc, it was a real pain. My husband had a good look at it (he's the tech in the family!) and realised it was to do eith the media files. So I spent an age cleaning up my current file with proper media links etc, and he then merged that with the last clean back up and it seems to have all sorted itself out. But for me it all started after I tried to upload to ancestry - that was a big mistake but kind of defeats the purpose of the software really...

Kate

Comment

Thank you Elaine and Kate for your helpful input. I haven't uploaded my file to Ancestry - I just subscribe to gain access to censuses, other trees etc. I haven't any media files/items attached to any individuals at present. So hopefully your suggestion that I need more RAM Elaine might be what I need to do - I'm very relieved to learn that it's not an Ancestry maximum of individuals that's the problem. I have to say that this site has been much more helpful than Ancestry's 'help' service...

Comment

My tree has over 15,000 people on it and FTM handles them well and quite quickly too.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by Lloyds View Post
            Thank you Elaine and Kate for your helpful input. I haven't uploaded my file to Ancestry - I just subscribe to gain access to censuses, other trees etc. I haven't any media files/items attached to any individuals at present. So hopefully your suggestion that I need more RAM Elaine might be what I need to do - I'm very relieved to learn that it's not an Ancestry maximum of individuals that's the problem. I have to say that this site has been much more helpful than Ancestry's 'help' service...
            This is the recommended computer specification for using FTM 2011
            • Windows® XP, Vista® or 7
            • 1GHz Intel Pentium III (or equivalent)
            • Hard disk space: 500MB for installation
            • Memory: 1 GB RAM
            • Display 1024 x 768 resolution
            • CD-ROM Drive
            • All online features require Internet access

source: Avanquest
            Elaine

Comment

.. although the recommended specification from Ancestry Shop is slightly different!

Recommended system requirements:
              • Windows® XP SP2/Vista™ or Windows 7
              • 1 GHz Intel Pentium® III (or equivalent)
              • 460 MB HDD or installation / 512 MB of RAM
              • 32X CD/CD-R
              • 1024x768 resolution display
              • All online features require internet access
              Elaine

Comment

The First thing i was gonna say is that it sounds more like a PC issue, more memory will speed up a PC loading, also i would advise keeping ur tree on an external hard drive, I would then advise you put all ur applications on ur external drive and this will stop your PC from crashing because it will free up space.

Comment

My oldish PC had 512MB of RAM and really struggled with FTM 2011. I maxed out with 2GB of RAM and it works OK. If yours is a newer PC and can take 4GB or more, I'd go with that. Memory for newer PCs is cheaper than for older ones.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you all, this is great advice. My computer has 512 MB RAM as you say Elaine as recommended by FTM, I am ordering an extra GB. Thank you for the backup advice DR, I back up on a USB stick and also on Dropbox (belt and braces girl). Good to know FTM can handle a tree 3 times the size of mine (blimey Wendy!) think mine'll pan out at around 5-6000 people.

Comment

What I did was to order 2 x 1GB, one for each memory slot. The redundant 512MB went in the empty slot in OH's PC, giving her 1GB.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Uncle John! My computer-literate son has also defragmented and cleaned up my PC and replaced the hard drive with his old one (newer and better than mine) having cloned it first. Now much faster and backing up with no hassle.

Comment

Thats a great result

Comment

Yep - happy again!

Comment

Working...
                            X