Who is Henry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is Henry?

I have been looking at the Yorkshire parish records on Ancestry, and have found a marriage for a Henry Lockton to a Margaret Newsome in Batley 1916.

On the marriage record Henry has stated that his father is a Charles Lockton (deceased).

I am currently tracing my Lockton's through the census records, so I was quite interested in finding this Henry on the census to see if he is connected to my Locktons.

I have had a look at the census records and I can't find a Henry Lockton born c1873 with a father Charles.

I have looked for a birth for a Henry born c1873, and found a Henry Herbert Lockton born 1874 Shardlow (Derbyshire?), but again I can't find this Henry as well!

For those who don't have access to the marriage I have found the details are:

Henry Lockton age 43 (or 45) widdower, occupation: Teamer, address 40a Russell Street, father: Charles Lockton (deceased) occupation: farmer.

Margaret Newsome age 36, widow, address: 20 Peel Street, father: John Gale, occupation: Blacksmith.

The two witnesses were Alice Heeley and Albert Heeley.

I was wondering if anyone could see if they can find a Henry Lockton with father charles on the census, incase I have missed something?

Kelly.

In view of the complete absence of both men from all censuses perhaps they were born abroad - maybe in Ireland? - and Henry moved to the UK between 1911 and 1916.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

I think that could definitely be a possibility.

There doesn't seem to be a Henry Lockton with a father Charles on any of the census records.

Comment

Unless Henry was illegitimate and made up Charles's name?

Comment

looking on the census of ireland website there are only 8 lockton's listed for 1901 and 2 lockton's listed for 1911 no henry or charles...
          Craig

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for your replies.

Henry may have made Charles' name up for the marriage, I will have another look at the census to see if there were any Henry's with just a mother.

I have had a look at the Ireland census, so it looks like he didn't come from there. I have also had a look at the UK incoming passenger records and can't find anything on there. There isn't any Henry Locktons, there is a Harry Lockton but his birth year is 1888.

Kelly.

Comment

says he was a widower. maybe find all marriages for him, and see if any brides die? or maybe see who was at russell st in 1911?

Comment

As Charles can't be found at this time, maybe Charles was a middle name he switched around to be his first name or it might have been different completely. For instance when my great grandfather married in 1914 his listed father's first name was different compared to the first name listed on his sister's marriage cert when she got married. But as Islington 1861 is not complete on the census i can't prove which one was their father's first names to be the correct name!

The 1874 Henry Herbert Shardlow birth i think could be linked to the Henry Herbert born 1848. There is also another Henry birth in Shardlow in 1880.

Craig
                Craig

Comment

Hi Kylejustin,

I will have a look at the marriages and deaths tomorrow. I will also check the 1911 for Russell St.

Hi Craig

I also think the Henry Herbert 1874 birth is linked to Henry Herbert Lockton born 1848.

On the same page as the Henry H Lockton 1874 birth there is a William Woolley Lockton birth. Henry H Lockton born 1848 married Clara Woolley.

William W Lockton and Henry H Lockton born 1874 are both missing on the census, I also can't find deaths for them. On the 1911 census for Henry and Clara it states they only had 3 children and none had died.

Comment

Looking at FreeBMD deaths there is a Henry Lockton that died 1930 in Dewsbury aged 56 (giving us a c1874 birth). Should be the Henry that married Margaret Newsome in Dewsbury in 1916? Can't find any kids from this marriage either. Wish the 1921 census be released early... frustrating lol...

Still with deaths there is William Henry Lockton that died in October 1999 in Dewsbury. States his birth was 3rd September 1916. On birth can't find it. I wonder if he is related to the Dewsbury side of the tree?
                    Last edited by cpdavis35; 14-07-11, 12:26.
                    Craig

Comment

Hi Craig,

I think that death may be for the Henry who married Margaret.

This is very fustrating, I originally wanted to find out who this Henry was because my 4x great grandfather was Henry Lockton born 1866, and his father was Charles!

Comment

Hi Craig,

The William H Lockton you found his birth is registered as LOCTON. It looks like he is the son of Henry and Margaret, I have 3 more possible children for them.

Comment

On the 1871 census there is a Henry Lockton aged 5. Son of Martha Lockton who is listed as a wife not a widow. But this is in Lincolnshire.

This Henry (sometimes listed as Harry) moved on to Yorkshire and is boarding on the 1891 census. Then disappears off 1901 and 1911.
                          Last edited by cpdavis35; 14-07-11, 21:56.
                          Craig

Comment

Hi Craig,

The Henry you have found is my Henry his parents were Charles and Martha. I haven't been able to find a death for my Henry. My Henry's middle name was Murr (or Muir) and there is a death in bethnal green 1899 for a Henry Murr, I haven't sent for the death cert because i'm not sure it is for mine.

Comment

Working...
                            X