would records exist ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• would records exist ?

If somebody died in a nursing home in 1929 and its now been taken over by a care home , where if they existed would the records of her time spent there be ?
    Last edited by Guest; 12-07-11, 11:39.

What records do you mean Val? The death cert would be available in the usual way - or do you mean a record of the time spent in the home or something?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

oops sorry yes I meant of her time spent there ? she died of TB and am sure she spent some months there

Comment

I'm not 'up' on these things Val, but have you tried ringing the records office for the area?
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

hadnt thought of that ?? could try thanks Chrissie.

Comment

I woukldn't have thought so, It would be a bit like living in an old peoples home, I doubt there are records kept, what records would there be?
            Jess

Comment

it was a nursng home when she was there so was hoping some records of the treatment and time they spent there would exist somewhere ?

Comment

Hi, depends on the place Val, so you might be lucky...can you tell us what it was called?

Comment

hello Naomi it was Longford House Havenstreet Isle of Wight ,seems it is now Northbrooke .

Comment

i should either they didnt keep much in records, or they were destroyed at some point. i guess if you ask th elocal records office, they might be able to tell you about them. if they do exist, they could be sealed.

Comment

The National Archives has a database showing which hospital records have survived and where they can be obtained, but it doesn't seem to be listed, presumably because it wasn't classed as a hospital.

The Hospital Records (HOSPREC) Database was the result of a collaborative project between the Wellcome Library and The National Archives to bring together information about the existence and location of the records of UK hospitals. This information includes: the administrative details of the hospitals, and their status or type the location and covering dates of […]

Comment

I did find a record on the nationalarchives but for a much later period of time ?

Comment

Before the advent of the NHS, medical records belonged to whoever created them and they did whatever they liked with them when they were no longer needed.

During WW2 there was a drive for scrap paper and many old records of all descriptions were handed over.

It would just be sheer luck if any records survived in an accessible form, I think.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC your probably right as I did try to get an inquest for somebody died in 1939 and was told the paper had been used for the war effort.

Comment

Working...
                            X