This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java

Probably a daft question........... but do I need Java on my PC ?
    Lesley passed away in November 2017.

Hi, Can anyone tell me what is the purpose of having Java. I uninstalled mine at the suggestion of a friend. I can browse the Internet and do not...

have a look at this

Comment

Java is used on several websites. You would be wise to keep it.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Oh I'll leave it on for now then. Would it be ok just to disable it as a Firefox extension?

Comment

Why do you want to disable it?
          Elaine

Comment

If you disable it the websites that need it won't be able to work properly.

Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Most of the interaction on web pages uses behaviours that are driven by java script.
              Even something as simple as an image roll-over, where the image changes when you move your mouse over it uses Java.

What is making you want to disable Java, I do not understand?

Researching:
              FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

It is just something someone mentioned to me, they said I didn't need it I don't have it on my PC at work and everything seems to work OK. What is the difference between Java and java script ?

Comment

Java and javascript are two different programming languages.
                  Java is more complex to program with than javascript

Don't get confused by the sharing of the JAVA element to their names, they are different languages and were developed by different companies altogether

The main difference is that JAVA can be used to create programs that run on their own (known as java applets), while Javascript needs to be part of a HTML code page
                  Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 13-07-11, 17:17.

Researching:
                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
                  X