Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd pair of eyes on 1841 Census

Hi all,

I am trying to find a Peter Emerton on the 1841 census around the Houghton Regis area of Bedfordfordshire.
    Peter born in 1783 and died in 1844 (have certificate).

Could be I've missed something.

Steve.
    Steve.
    Researching;Fitzjohn:Crouch:Parker:Howlett ;)

sorry cannot find him

Comment

Have you any other details - such as a wife, children etc?
      Thanks
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by herky View Post
        Have you any other details - such as a wife, children etc?
        Thanks
        I only have the name Elizabeth Emerton which I cannot confirm to be his Wife....yet!
        In fact he is the only 'Peter Emerton' during that period (from the Family Search site)

Steve.
        Steve.

Comment

Yes - it is not a common name - still looking.
          Do you know his occupation?
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Looking at family search website for a Peter marrying an Elizabeth. There are two.

Peter Emerton married Elizabeth Watts 12 Jun 1829
            Peter Emmerton married Elizabeth Dear 6 Jul 1834.

Both marriages were in Houghton Regis, Bedford.

If your Peter is one of these then he would be married by the time 1841 census was done. Can't find on 1841 census yet.

Craig
            Last edited by cpdavis35; 11-07-11, 22:19.
            Craig

Comment

Originally posted by cpdavis35 View Post
              Looking at family search website for a Peter marrying an Elizabeth. There are two.

Peter Emerton married Elizabeth Watts 12 Jun 1829
              Peter Emmerton married Elizabeth Dear 6 Jul 1834.

Both marriages were in Houghton Regis, Bedford.

If your Peter is one of these then he would be married by the time 1841 census was done.

Craig
              Thanks Craig, I have found these two marriages, the best bet could be he married for the 2nd time in 1829.
              The 1834 marriage could be his offspring.

I think a visit to Bedford R/O is required for this one.

Thanks for your help.

Steve.
              Steve.

Comment

Has Ancestry got a decent copy of this page? HO107/1 folio 2/8 page 11

On FMP it's almost illegible over most of the page. The transcription does include a Peter, but he's not with a wife, and he's up at Colmworth.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's supposed to be a Peter here, too: HO107/2 folio 4/12 page 18
                  That one's with a wife and family, in the Biggleswade area, but at least one child is supposed to have been aged 15(+), which puts her DoB as before the first of those marriages.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

FMP has a Peter DRAPER, 60, with wife Elizabeth, 58, here: HO107/4 folio 27/4 page 3
                    But that one's also almost illegible, so I wouldn't rely on that transcription. This is in Stopsley.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by fitzjohn1001 View Post
                      I think a visit to Bedford R/O is required for this one.
                      Local libraries around Bedfordshire also hold a selection of the register transcriptions that BLARS at Borough Hall (ex County Hall) have the full set of. But only BLARS have the microfilms of the registers.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

DO you know what he did for a living Steve?
                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                          FMP has a Peter DRAPER, 60, with wife Elizabeth, 58, here: HO107/4 folio 27/4 page 3
                          But that one's also almost illegible, so I wouldn't rely on that transcription. This is in Stopsley.

Christine
                          I have cropped and darkened as much as possible but it does look more like Draper than Emerton -

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                            There's supposed to be a Peter here, too: HO107/2 folio 4/12 page 18
                            That one's with a wife and family, in the Biggleswade area, but at least one child is supposed to have been aged 15(+), which puts her DoB as before the first of those marriages.

Christine
                            Same with that one Christine. Is this the one you mean? Transcribed Dear and it looks more like Dear than Emerton, and too young.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                              I have cropped and darkened as much as possible but it does look more like Draper than Emerton -

Yes it does look much more like DRAPER than EMERTON.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                Same with that one Christine. Is this the one you mean? Transcribed Dear and it looks more like Dear than Emerton, and too young.

I agree that that one looks more like DEAR. I don't think that FMP had a surname for that one at all!

Ah well! They seemed like possibles for a while.

Christine

Comment

Thanks for all your help.

This Whole Emerton family has been a total nightmare for me, but with time I'll get there in the end.

Steve.
                                  Steve.

Comment

Have you tried the likely mistranscriptions and variants?

t sometimes gets shown as s, l, etc. ... Having in mind that EMERSON is probably a better-known name.

m sometimes gets interpreted as nn, and, particularly, rn

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                    X