• Show
Clear All

• help with family tree

trying to trace my farthers family
    info i have from find my past

my grandad is herbert clark born 1904 middlesbourgh yorkshire

his dad charles born 1877 or 78 midd
    married 1897
    charles dad is george born 1844 salford lancashire i dont know if his dad is a george married to a sarah she is born 1810 the farther in law is thomas born 1781 in ollerton nottingham this is the only info i have found dont know if it is correct

please can any one help

Hi Tyson, and welcome to Family Tree Forum.

Do you have any birth or marriage certificates to support the above?
    Have you traced the family back through the censuses?
    Elaine

Comment

hi elaine i have my fathers wedding and birth and 1 marriage for grandads herbert just the rest of info of find my past and church of lds i know my grandad married twice and have on censuses info many thanks for any help you can offer and for me joining your forum

Comment

So you have a birth certificate for grandad Herbert - does that give parents as Charles and Frances, with mother's maiden name Forrest (just so I know I am following the right family through on the census).
        Elaine

Comment

elaine i have no birh cer for herbert just wedding his farther is charles and he married frances forrest in middlesbourgh 1897 yhen i have george charles dad married in middlesbourg 1867 to mary j walker i checked the dates on teesvally births marriage and deaths so your down the right track its the line for george 1844 from salford manchester i have 1851 census showing a george 11 johns st his grandad as thomas widowed born 1781 ollerton nottingham but cannot find thomas sons name how married sarah thanks for help

Comment

I think this is the family on 1911 census
            14 Baxter St Middlesbrough

CLARK, Charles Head Married M 34 1877 Contractor For Tarring Yorkshire Ormesby
            CLARK, Frances Wife Married14 years F 33 1878 Aberdeenshire

CLARK, Charles Son M 12 1899 School Yorkshire Middlesbro
            CLARK, Alice Daughter F 9 1902 Yorkshire Middlesbro
            CLARK, Herbert Son M 7 1904 Yorkshire Middlesbro
            CLARK, Robert Son M 3 1908 Yorkshire Middlesbro
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

thats correct katarzyna 1881 census shows george 1844 mary j wife born 1851 george 1871 sarah j 1869 lydia 1873 alfred 1875 charles 1878 thomas 1879 many thanks to you all

Comment

I see your problem now. George's mother, Sarah b Ollerton, Notts, is a widow on 1851 census for Salford, Lancs - they are living with their grandfather, Thomas Clark b 1781 Ollerton, Notts.
                George's brother Thomas was born 1838 Sheffield so we need to find them on 1841 census to find Sarah's husband.
                Is this what you need?
                Kat

Comment

Hi tyson and welcome. Elaine's little nudges about having documents in your hands are so important. Unless you go back one generation at a time and collect the birth marriage and death certificates for everyone in the tree, you'll never be sure you've got the right family. Clark is a relatively common name, so there could be several families having people with the same names and roughly the same ages and birthplaces. When you are looking at censuses, it's the pattern of names, ages and birthplaces that can usually help you sort out one family from another.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I think you are going to need either the birth certificate of Thomas (1838) or George (1844) so as to get Mary's maiden name and then look for her marriage.
                    Can't see them in 1841 at the moment!
                    Elaine

Comment

neither can I.
                      There is one record for Thomas Clark b Sheffield 1838 Apr-May-Jun Vol 22 page 620.
                      BUT unless you have the birth certs and Marriage certs first of their descendents, as Uncle John says - you maybe going down the wrong route.
                      Last edited by Katarzyna; 11-07-11, 16:01.
                      Kat

Comment

Originally posted by tyson View Post
                        elaine i have no birh cer for herbert just wedding his farther is charles and he married frances forrest in middlesbourgh 1897 yhen i have george charles dad married in middlesbourg 1867 to mary j walker i checked the dates on teesvally births marriage and deaths so your down the right track its the line for george 1844 from salford manchester i have 1851 census showing a george 11 johns st his grandad as thomas widowed born 1781 ollerton nottingham but cannot find thomas sons name how married sarah thanks for help
                        But do you have the Marriage certificate for this? If you do this will say who George's father was. If you haven't then really this is essential to be sure you are following the correct line.

Marriage to Mary Jane Walker:

Stockton
                        Oct-Nov-Dec 1867
                        Vol 10a
                        P 74

Middlesborourgh came under the Stockton Reg District at that time.

I just realised you probably don't have the Marriage cert for Charles either. If not you need this first :
                        Charles Clark and Frances Forrest:
                        Apr-May-Jun 1897
                        Middlesbrough
                        Vol 9d
                        P 920
                        Last edited by Katarzyna; 11-07-11, 16:27.
                        Kat

Comment

thanks again all i will try to get a certificate ive spent so much on my grans side now starting on my dads side have to vist local arcives those hold a few if you find any thing let me know please bye for now

Comment

thanks again all i will try to get a certificate ive spent so much on my grans side now starting on my dads side have to vist local arcives those hold a few if you find any thing let me know please bye for now ive got george married to mary j walker on 2 nov 1867 m-204 004 0 0234 this is on teesvally reg

Comment

So what was George's father called? You will see this on the certificate. We can then look for him on the 1841 census?
                              Kat

Comment

thanks again all i will try to get a certificate ive spent so much on my grans side now starting on my dads side have to vist local arcives those hold a few if you find any thing let me know please bye for now ive got george married to mary j walker on 2 nov 1867 m-204 004 0 0234 this is on teesvally reg
                                You won't get certificates from the local archives, only from the General Register Office (GRO) or the local register office where the event took place.

Comment

You can order that marriage certificate by downloading the application form from the Tees Valley Index site - click here
                                  The reference which Katarzyna gave you in post #12 is for orders via the General Register Office.
                                  To confuse things, references differ between the General Register Office and local Register Offices.
                                  Elaine

Comment

You can also order over the phone for Middlesbrough and Stockton and pay with card and they will send out to you usually takes about 3/4 days thats all , if its Mbro and you live there you can call in order and pay for it and then go back next day or day after depepnding how busy they are and pick it up
                                    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

clark family help

i all
                                      i posted a post on hear about 1 mounth ago about help on my family tree 1911 census on find my past i have my grandad herbert born 1904 in middlesbough his father is charles born 1877 married frances forrest 1897.

i have just got the wedding certtificate it shows his father as george a platelayer 0n 1881 cenus george clark was born 1844 in salford lancashire married mary jane walker 1867 in middlesbough.
                                      i have just got this wedding certtificate george names his father as george an accoutant.

This is the point i am stuck ive found on 1851 census a george clark born 1844 manchester brother thomas 1838 mother sarah 1810 widowed so i dont know if sarah married a george and if thomas born 1781 his his dad need any help please thank you
                                      Last edited by Darksecretz; 12-08-11, 15:22. Reason: making layout easier to read

Comment

Tyson

If you can manage to spend a bit more time when you write your message, it will help to get you more replies. Try to start people's names with a capital letter and split your message up into sentences with full stops. That will make it a lot easier to understand. We oldies don't do much texting!

Comment

Working...
                                        X