dont know where to start??!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dont know where to start??!!

Hi all......Totally new to this site and found it by accident! Im hoping i can get some information and help as to where to start as i havnt got a clue!! Basically my dad always told me that his father was a soldier in the war and he had no idea of his name of anything and always wondered about him. Unfortunatly in January this year my dad passed away...when i went to register his death i was shown a copy of his full birth certificate...which actually had the name of his father on it..aparently his mother had taken his father to court to prove he was the dad!! I would like to find out as much information on my grandad that i can as i always did wonder and just for my own dad even tho he will never know we have found this out! but where do i start??!!!

Thanks.... Joanne, Glasgow :-)

Hi Joanne,

I am just about to go to work so it is a pity I can't help you at the moment.
    Many of my ancestors came from Glasgow so I am used to Scottish searches - however there are lots of helpful folk on this site so why don't you give us some names, places and dates so we can make some suggestions.
    Remember that we are not permitted to use the names of living people but I don't think that will be a problem in your case.

As you are in Glasgow the Mitchell Library would be a good place to visit once you get more details - the City Archive hold the poor records, school records etc and on another floor is the family history section with lots of info such as directories, censuses, MI books (monumental Inscription) etc.

Scotlands People website is another must for Birth, death and marriage records. Also Family Search.

You will get all the details on the wiki on this site.
    Sorry this mail is a rushed mess - getting ready for work!!

Edit - I have just realised that I am assuming your ancestor was Scottish because you live in Glasgow.
    Sorry about that - however we can still help you here to get started, wherever your grandad came from.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dad - it will be a difficult time for you as it is still very recent.
    Last edited by herky; 10-07-11, 08:59.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

some very sound advice there Herky..

Joanne, if you could give us the name of your father and his date of birth/place of birth and also the name of his parents then this might enable us to do a little searching for you.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Depending on the ages of the people involved, there are some soldiers' service records on Ancestry and on FMP. In any case, service records sometimes hold NoK info, and DoB, or fairly accurate dated ages. Occasionally, you can find lists of children and their DoBs.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Joanne, Welcome to FTF.
          Our reference section has lots of links and information to get you started. Click on this link: http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...etting-Started

You will find just about all you need to know about Genealogy there.
          As others have said perhaps we can help you on your way if you post on here the info they have requested.

Are you really sure you want to do this??? Once you start you will be as hooked as we all are and never get anything else done LOL
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Just to add to the welcome and the warning about addiction. One other thing - go back one step at a time and make sure you have the documentary evidence. It's so easy to pick the wrong family on your way back up your tree.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes, Uncle John, I agree (now home from work - doesn't work get in the way of a nice bit of research!!???)
              Start with what you know and work back carefully, getting all the certs etc as you go.
              It is easy to do a tree just looking at censuses - but what's the point if you have the wrong family.
              Family tree research is not a cheap hobby if you back everything up with evidence but without that evidence it is worthless.
              However - to our new member of FTF, Joanne - give us some names and I am sure we can help you on your way.
              We have all been new and know how over whelming it can be.
              herky
              Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Have you got an ancestry sub yet? You really should.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                  We need to know where Joanne is researching first Heather. She lives in Glasgow, so if it's Scottish research then Ancestry isn't going to be of much use to her!
                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                    Also, if she's lucky, (assuming that Ancestry would be useful) her local library may have access to the Library Edition of Ancestry.com, so she could complement that by having FMP membership, so enabling her to get a whole alternative set of databases, plus some overlap (but with different transcribers).

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thankyou all for the posts and making me feel very welcome here.... My fathers name was James McLeod 30/06/37 born in Springburn, Glasgow....his mother was Jessie McLeod and since found out his father was George Scott!After briefly speaking to the last of my dads cousins she told me that Jessie worked in a big house where she met George Scott. I will be going to visit her to find out what else she actually knows!! Dad was brought up by his Aunt.. Christina McLeod.... his mum remarried and became Jessie Proctor from Duntocher, Glasgow!

Comment

Thankyou so much Herky....will be visiting Mitchell library when i next hav a day off!! And yes we are from Glasgow>>>>dad was James McLeod 30/06/37 born in Springburn glasgow...mum was Jessie McLeod who married and became Jessie Proctor Duntocher Glasgow, and George Scott was his dad who im tryn to find out more about but have no idea of any his details!! Yes it i very hard without my dad as we were very close as daddys n daughters usually are thats why want to do this

Comment

Hi Darksecretz....dad was James McLeod 30/06/37...born Springburn Glasgow....mother Jessie McLeod (had a sister Christina McLeod and Isabelle McLeod) and since found out his dad was George Scott but know nothing of him.

Comment

Hi,
                            I think one of the problems you may have is the fact that you are in fairly recent times so we can't look at censuses etc,
                            You first mail mentioned that there was some detail about the question of paternity.
                            As the birth cert is recent then it can't be seen on-line but can I ask a question? Does it have some writing on the margin on the left hand side and say something referring to the Register of Corrected Entries or RCE - if so then you could go to the local register office and ask to view this register and you never know it may give you some more detail. This may well be where you got the information about your grandad that you mentioned.
                            Do you have any information about George Scott that would help you find him. I also have relatives where the father was not the husband and have failed to progress very far.

If Jessie did claim poor relief, and I am not sure of the dates covered in the Mitchell, then the information on the applications are quite detailed. Worth a try anyway and the folk are very helpful if you just explain it is your first visit and need help. They are also open on a Saturday which is handy if you are working through the week.

Any little bit of information can help you on your way.
                            Good luck.
                            herky

Comment

Working...
                            X