Help solve a mystery - if you have a subscription to the 1911 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help solve a mystery - if you have a subscription to the 1911 census

Poor little Frederick C Canton was born Q3 1912 in Watford and died Q4 the following year. In the 1911 census index the only person called Canton is Florence age 41, so there seems a good chance that she was the mother. However her place of birth is shown in the index as Helsen Lancs. Could somebody please look at the original and see what it says. Most likely it should be Helston. Also check no transcription error in age etc. On Frederick's birth the mother's maiden name is Williams but I can find no Florence Williams born in Helston around 1870, indeed there seems to be nobody called Florence at all between 1869-1872. Nor can I find any marriage between a male Canton and a Florence Williams. In case Florence is not the mother, but there is some other person called Canton nee Williams who is not on the 1911 census I checked all marriages between a male Canton and a Williams, but the only one is a couple from Stackpole Pembs and there is no evidence that they ever left Stackpole. Whilst Canton is rare, Williams is common and I do not think that the Stackpole couple are the parents.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Looks more like Nelson, Lancs to me.

Florence in this household is a widow living on private means. Sister in law to Head of House Samuel Ingleby Oddie Barrister at law

Do you think this is the one?

On 1911 they are all living in Hertfordshire where Frederick was born

Linda
    Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 07-07-11, 16:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Loopy Linda in La La Land View Post
      Looks more like Nelson, Lancs to me.

Florence in this household is a widow living on private means. Sister in law to Head of House Samuel Ingleby Oddie Barrister at law

Do you think this is the one?

On 1911 they are all living in Hertfordshire where Frederick was born

Linda
      Samuel married Lilian BROWN in 1894. In 1901 they were in Watford, Lilian was 36, born Burnley, Lancs , no sign of sister in law Florence, who I assume was Lilian's sister and so maiden name Brown, unless Lilian was a widow when she married Samuel.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

In 1890 Lilian Brown 26 born Burnley and Florence Brown 21 born Nelson Lancs are both on the same census page RG12 piece 3519 folio 145 page 5, at a hydropathic establishment in Harrogate.

In Q3 1900 Florence Brown married Herbert Canton in St Giles district. This must be Lilian's siter, Samuel's sister in law who appears in 1911 but no I've not found any sign of the Williams surname to link her to your Frederick's mother.
        Last edited by JudithM; 07-07-11, 17:17. Reason: extra info

Comment

In March Q 1914, there is also William V Canton, mmn Williams born in Watford.

Linda
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I've just realised you only quote a quarter for Frederick's birth not a date of birth so have you seen his birth certificate to know that Florence Canton, formerly Williams was his mother, or are you just going by the mmn on the birth index and the coincidence of a Florence Canton living in Watford?
            If the latter may I suggest this marriage for his parents: Dec 1911 Gravesend 2a 1296
            Canton Eric F
            Rand Joseph C
            Summers Rosetta
            Williams Evelyn E

There are births for Rand, mmn Summers so Eric must have married Evelyn.
            Last edited by JudithM; 07-07-11, 17:56.

Comment

Thanks everyone. There's lots for me to chew over.

Comment

Another little snippet - Eric Francis Canton's father was Frederick (from 1881 census).

Linda
                Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

So, to summarise: Florence is probably a coincidence and a red herring, although she might be a relative. The baby Frederick's parents were Eric F Canton and Evelyn nee Williams. Eric is on the 1911 age 30 living in Gravesend. That was before he married Evelyn and presumably settled in Watford sometime after the 1911 census and before the birth in Q3 1912. Evelyn is most likely the Evelyn Edith Williams age 21 in Gravesend in 1911. Eric and Evelyn remained in Watford for a time, having another son in 1914.

The only point that I cannot clear up is the death of Florence's husband, maybe it happened abroad.

Thanks again.

Comment

I think I found Florence's husband on the 1901 census in the Royal Navy so could well have died abroad. I'll see if I can find the reference again.
                    He's an officer, Staff Surgeon, married, aged 40, born London aboard the vessel "Tamar - receiving ship"
                    RG13/5334 folio 28 page 47
                    Last edited by JudithM; 08-07-11, 09:59. Reason: added info

Comment

Working...
                    X