Baptism.........can you read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptism.........can you read?

October 20th, Caroline Sophia Haynes......... Can anyone read the word under Sophia?

Thanks.

Could it be orphan?
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
      Could it be orphan?
      I do believe you are right Wendy, I couldn't see that.:D

I also can't find any other evidence of this Vincent and Sophia Haynes anywhere :(

Comment

It looks like orphan to me as well. She was 3 years old when baptised, maybe nobody knew if she had been baptised as a baby?

Anne

Comment

It says orphan D. of

David
          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Totally agree it's orphan. I looked at the image before reading everyone's suggestions.
            Moggie

Comment

it does look like Orphan Sue, but if this is the case does it mean that she was an orphan that was adopted by these people or they were her natural parents and they both died? thus making her an Orphan? if the latter is the case who gave the info about her parentage? (sorry I guess I'm just complicating things now)
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Is it possible that she was adopted by the parents shown on the birth registration ?

David
                Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

I have a big theory on this.

Emily Sophia Haynes married Edward Bettison in St. Saviour Southwark in 1834.
                  One of the witnesses was an EMILY ANN Neck who according to census was born c1796 in St. Saviour Southwark.
                  She is also married to a John Knill Neck, but to date no marriage found.
                  I have a strong suspicion that this Emily Neck might be Emily Sophias mother, though as yet I have no
                  definite proof.
                  Some of Edward and Emily Bettisons children are with the Necks in the 1851 census, though no exact
                  relationship is given.HO107; Piece: 1572; Folio: 379; Page: 48, Lambeth.
                  On the death cert for Emily Neck, Emily Bettison was the informant, but again nothing about relationship.
                  Finally on one of the Bettison childrens birth certs, Emily has her maiden name as Neck, but all the rest as Haynes.

Having been unable to find a Neck marriage I was trying to find a possible baptism for an EMILY ANN born St. Saviour
                  that might fit the bill for this lady.

Also baptised on the same day and directly under Caroline Sophia is the baptism of an EMILY ANN Carr born c1796.Could she have been the one who had taken Caroline to be baptised, be her guardian. Might she have changed her name to Emily. The approx dates of birth all fit.

Your thoughts please.

Comment

do you have John K Necks death cert Sue? who was the informant on that?
                    Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                      do you have John K Necks death cert Sue? who was the informant on that?

A nurse was the informant as he was in a hospital when he died.

John K left a will, I must try and get it, but both the Emilys died before him.

Comment

Presumably you have John K on the 1871 census? with Emily Bettison and her daughter

Julie

Comment

give me a mo and i'll give you a transcript of the entry in the probate register for JKN
                          Julie

Comment

JKN Esq, effects under £5000,
                            3rd March the will with a codicil of JKN late of 7 Doris street. west Kennington rd, in the county of Surrey Esq who died 9 Feb 1876 at 7 Doris St west was proved at the principle registry by John Grant NECK of 96, Westbourne park road in the parish of Paddington, county of mddx, the Nephew and Douglas Drysdale of 32 Kennington Oval, in the parish of Lambeth in the county of Surrey, Gentleman the executors.
                            Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie, I have all the census info.
                              Douglas Drysdale is another sort of mystery, he seems to be connected in some way. He was also a witness on the Bettison/Haynes marriage.
                              I have put a mini tree together for the Necks, Johns parents originate and were married in Devon.

Maybe John and Emily Ann never married, if they did would have thought it would have been in the Southwark/Lambeth area as this is where they came from.

Comment

Does anyone know if the London collection on Ancestry will be updated at all in the future?

Comment

Sue,

its interesting that you mention Necks and Devon, I have a Frances NICKS/NIX Middleton (though sometimes she is mistranscribed as NECKS) she married a Wiliam BURGESS who came from suffolk and they settled in St George Hanover Sq, (she came from Upottery in Devon)
                                  Julie

Comment

have you tracked John Grant Neck at all Sue?

Praps Douglas worked with John?
                                    Julie

Comment

Julie
                                      I think Devon is awash with Necks,lol'

I have traced the Necks through the censuses, found various marriages etc, but still trying to find the vital link.

Comment

and its blinking annoying when you know there is a connection but cant find the flaming thing!! and washing necks was funny!!! about sprayed me puter with coffee!! lol
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X