Acer net book - screen size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acer net book - screen size

recently purchased an Acer Netbook for about £199 from Argos. I am still struggling with one or two problems.

One is trying to either Save an email address or even import them into Windows Live.

The usual box appears but the top and the bottom of the box is cut off and it does not appear to have a way to reduce the size to enable me to Click on Save / OK or at the top close the box with the Cross on the top. There is no way to scroll this box either and it happens on all the items that have a Wizzard Box appear - just a cut off top and bottom.
    I have hidden the task bar so the the screen size is maximum but it has made no difference.
    While looking at a different make in a shop today the assitant said: Just change the Size of the Box but I cannot find a way. I have tried Control - I have tried to reduce the % to 75%.
    The box is still on the home screen (windows background) after I come off the net as I have no way to move it. The only option is to shut the netbook down.

Any ideas please?
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Sounds as if your screen resolution is set too small. Assuming it's Windows 7, if you right click on the desktop the 3rd option from the bottom should be "Screen Resolution". Try changing this until you get the setting that works.

EDIT: Just checked, it should be set to a resolution of 1,024x600 pixels.
    Last edited by WendyPusey; 06-07-11, 08:33.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I have checked the resulution and it is OK but by making this check I tried another option that came up. I have just had a fiddle with things and made a little progress.
      I did a Right Click on the mouse and selected 'Graphic Options - and selected Aspect Ratio' this has helped me a little. I can now just see the top of the frame and it also has given me a box on the tool bar that if I click it a real mini box comes up now and I can close down. It is all a little intermittent but I will work at it, I am sure it is only a question of fine tuning on this small screen.

I will let you know when I master it. I so desperately need to put my address book on this mini.

Sorry for such a late reply but I usually only switch on late evening that I expect you have gathered by now.

Many thanks for the help.
      Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

I do not use W7 but in XP there is a help accessible by pressing F1. I should imagine W7 has a similar .

Selecting Keyboard shortcuts I found that Alt+F4 closes an open window .

Ken

Comment

Ken,

Many thanks I always forget F1 but I frequently type a question into the search bar. F1 has many ideas but not certain that they have the answer. I am almost their as I said just a little fine tuning. Problem is I that I do not put the Acer on very often so do not get round to intense study.
          See Windows 8 is on the way and I am still stuggling with 7. I still think XP was the best I ever used for the things that I do.

Cheers,
          Margaret N

Comment

I have XP on a partition on my desktop but very rarely use it.

I also have an Acer Netbook but did not let Windows anywhere near it . Basically a Netbook is no different to a laptop or desktop , just smaller , so just treat it the same.

Ken

Comment

Ken,

If you do not use Windows on your netbook what do you use? Linux maybe.

Mine came loaded with W7 and for the price that I finally paid it was a bargain. I like it but do not have it on often enough to learn how to use it.
              Margaret N

Comment

Hi Margaret

Sorry for the delay .

A tip I have just heard , try pressing ALT and also press and keep pressed left mouse button then move down screen.
                The window should move down screen enabling you to see the top.

Yes I use Linux on Desktop Laptop and Netbook ,

Ken

Comment

Ken,

Many thanks will try that later tonight (if I don't fall asleep first). I seem to have heard of something like that but one cannot remember everything. I write all your tips down on my Acer Index Card for quick reference.
                  I have never seen Linux working but have read alot about it.

Cheers,
                  Margaret N

Comment

Working...
                  X