Ann Woodman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ann Woodman

Looking for some help please in finding my 2 x great-grandfather's sister Ann Woodman. Can see her birth to John Woodman and Elizabeth Reding at Alverstoke in July 1818, but nothing more. Any help would be welcome.

Di

what kind of info are you looking for Di? presumably you havent got her on any census?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Nothing at all. Can't see a marriage, a death - she was born and that's it!

Di

Comment

I am not great at English research (most of mine are Scots) but this may be difficult as it is possible Ann could be married before the 1st census in 1841 and she could have possibly not be in the registers for marriage as I believe (please feel free to help me out and correct me here) that although registration came in c 1837, it was not compulsory at first.
        Could you tell me what county Alverstoke is on please.
        Edit - I did a google - is it in Hampshire?
        Last edited by herky; 05-07-11, 21:25.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Yes Herky, it is Hampshire, :smilee: (I cheated and used google!) ;)

Di do you have her parents? on any census? it might be if you can track them that you might find her or a grandchild living with them
          Julie

Comment

I will go into more detail later but in the 1841 census there is a John and Eliz Woodman with a Ann Bone and husband next door.
            Then there is a marriage for a Ann Woodman to a Bone. Often families remained close by.
            What do you think?
            I will get the details together and amend this post.
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

1841 census for Alverstoke
              John Woodman and Eliz Woodman both born c 1771.
              John is a waterman.

Next door-
              ?Thomas Bone, 25, labourer and Ann Bone 20.

Then the following pos marriage –

3 Q 1840 – a marriage at Portsea, Hamshire.
              Ann Woodman and one of the others on the same page is a Thomas Bone.

Am I on the right track??
              herky

Comment

23 Sept 1840, St Thomas Portsmouth by IGI
                Marriage between Ann Woodman and Thomas Bone
                herky

Comment

oooh well done Herky.. obviously we need some verification from Di but that is looking good :smilee:
                  Julie

Comment

Still not certain though as when looking at later censuses etc and a pos death the age is a bit out.
                    We will need to get Di's opinion - if she knows the occupation of John then that would help.
                    herky

Comment

Thank-you so much, John was indeed a waterman, ferrying people across Portsmouth Harbour. Ann could easily have got married in Portsmouth, people tended to if they didn't want questions asked.

Am so excited!

Di

Comment

Oh - good news - now you can get going with later censuses and ordering certs etc.
                        I am not sure if I found any children when I was having a quick look but perhaps when you take time over it you will find some.
                        Let me know if I can be of any help but I see you are from Hampshire so it is great that you are in the right location to get more local information.
                        Let me know how you get on.
                        Happy hunting.
                        herky

Comment

The really interesting thing is that on a later census they were both working at Clarence Yard - brewing and coopering! Cooperage Yard is still there today and this is where the fleet was supplied with it's barrels of beer and water!

Di

Comment

Working...
                          X