Birth of Henry Hall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth of Henry Hall

Can anyone help me find Henry Hall's birth, please ? Working backwards, he died on 8 Nov 1845 in Burton Joyce, Notts (his wife, Mary survived him & is on the 1851 census). Henry Hall & Mary Rockley married at Burton Joyce (listed as Bulcote cum Burton Joyce....the church also served the village of Bulcote, where Mary was born....got her baptism) on 13 May 1822.

On the 1841 census, Henry is just listed as born in Nottinghamshire & the date would have been c 1791. Anyone who knows Notts will know that Burton Joyce, where Henry & Mary settled ,is a village which lies on the road towards Southwell & Newark. By a coincidence (??...wondering if my Henry got his date mixed up with this possible relative) another Henry Hall is on the census records as born in Newark in 1791. He married Elizabeth Ulyatt in Newark in 1823 & they settled in Southwell. I'm sure that, a couple of weeks ago, I found the baptism of a Henry Hall around the right time (parents William & Mary Hall) in a village near Newark beginning with A........but I can't find it any more (grrr !!!)

Any help welcome, please

looking at Familysearch website. The only Henry Hall that comes up around that time was:-

Henry Hall, baptism/christening 23 Nov 1787 Averham, Nottingham, England.

Father's Name William Hall and Mother's name Sarah.

Do you know who your Henry Hall's parents were?

Might be correct...

Craig.
    Craig

Comment

No, Craig.....unfortunately, I don't know that. Thanks for refinding that....that was the village near Newark that I was talking about. This could be either my Henry, or the one who said he was born in Newark or a completely different one. I've been in touch with a descendant of the one who said he was born in Newark......I'll contact him again & see if he's found a baptism for his Henry

Comment

The only children I've been able to find for my Henry are Henry & Mary (presumably named after their parents & possibly grandparents)) & Samuel (so he wasn't named after the parents of the Henry you found (or Mary's parents.....Joseph & Phoebe). Must be other children I can't find, though

Comment

The other Henry Hall that is on the 1841 census through to 1861 census was married to a Frances (a later wife of this Henry after Elizabeth?) This Henry Hall was born in Staythorpe. Don't know how close that is to the bap/christ in Averham to know if this was his or your Henry's bap/christ.
          Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig. Staythorpe would fit, as it's between Newark & Southwell. I'll try & see if I can find out if Henry of Newark's Elizabeth died before him.

Comment

Grey there is another bapt for a Henry Hall in 1790 Elston, All Saints (Elston is near to Bleasby/Hoveringham) parents Henry & Patience Hall. and it looks like they had two daughters too, Katherine b. 1792 and Elizabeth b. 1794
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Oh, thank you, Julie......that's a more likely location, isn't it ? Waiting for the descendant of the Henry Hall who settled in Southwell to get back to me to see if he knows which baptism is "his" Henry Hall & what he bases that on, then, at least, I'll hopefully eliminate one, but yours looks the most likely.

Thanks for your bimbling (as you put it).

Might have to leave the family history stuff for 2 or 3 weeks now, but I'll pick up on this again

Comment

ooooh hope everything is ok... but shout up if you need anything :smilee:
                  Julie

Comment

grey, not sure you have this info but 1841 census:-

Address: Burton Joyce
                    Basford, Carlton, Nottinghamshire

Henry Hall 50
                    Mary Hall 45
                    Mary Hall 15
                    Henry Hall 6

Looking on Familysearch website:-

Henry Hall born to parents Henry Hall & Mary - baptism/christening 1st Feb 1835 Burton Joyce Cum. Place - Bulcote, Nottingham, England.

Mary Hall same place Christening 19th March 1826. Burton Joyce, Nottingham.

However there are also 2 other possible kids with parents listed as Henry Hall and Mary and thse are:-

Sarrah Hall bap/christ Burton Joyce Cum 25th Jan 1824. Place Bulcote, Nottingham & John Hall same place bap/christ 2 March 1823. Death 28th March 1823.

One interesting thing is the age gap between the kids Mary and Henry... did the parents have other kids that were born to them but died before the 1841 census?

Craig
                    Craig

Comment

Thank you very much to you both. Got to dash, but I'll have a consider of what Craig has found. later
                      ....I also found a child named Samuel, who died when he was a few months old. I'm OK, Julie....bit of a rough time lately, but out of it now, I think.....as I hope you are.

Comment

I hadn't got John or Sarah & only Mary's year of baptism (thanks Craig) Samuel was born in June 1839 & died in Sep 1839. The gap between Mary & Henry IS interesting....maybe other children who'd survived had been sent away into service etc (assuming my Henry was the one born at Elston, which I think probable, we haven't found any children named after Mary's parents or Henry's mother.) Mary's father was Joseph Rockley....they were living in Bulcote, but the only other Rockleys (let alone Joseph Rockleys) I can find in Notts were living at Arnold....so all in that corner of the county. Surprisingly, I can't find anyone else researching Rockleys.....it doesn't sound that unusual, though

Comment

Not yet found a birth for Mary Rockley with father's name of Joseph. According to the 1841 census Mary is listed as 5 years younger than Henry (50 & 45) but i can only find one in Nottinghamshire around 5 years after Henry c1891 was:-

Mary Rockley birth 14 dec 1797. bap/christ 25 dec 1797. Place, Lowdham, Nottingham. Father Richard Hall Mother Elizabeth. But as the parents don't match up to what you are looking for this is probably not correct...
                          Craig

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
                            The only children I've been able to find for my Henry are Henry & Mary (presumably named after their parents & possibly grandparents)) & Samuel (so he wasn't named after the parents of the Henry you found (or Mary's parents.....Joseph & Phoebe). Must be other children I can't find, though
                            hmmn IF Henry & Mary are the parents, then I have found at least 8 children bapt at St Helens in Burton Joyce...

John 02/03/1823 @BJ d. 28/03/1823 4wks
                            Sarah 25/01/1824 @BJ
                            Mary 19/03/1826 @BJ d. 18/07/1849 23yrs
                            Elizabeth 29/06/1828 @BJ
                            Ann 30/01/1831 @BJ d. 24/09/1824 9m
                            Hannah 12/11/1832 @BJ d. 15/02/1840 7yrs
                            Henry 25/01/1835 @BJ
                            SAMUEL 23/06/1839 @BJ d. 23/09/1839 4m

Henry is listed as a FWK (not totally uncommon occupation in this neck of the woods though)

Henry Hall Sr. d. 08/11/1845 55yrs
                            Mary Hall Sr. d. 02/08/1858 64yrs

there are two other deaths as well,

Henry d. 23/04/1865 2yrs
                            Sarah d. 26/04/1865 4yrs
                            Last edited by Darksecretz; 07-07-11, 18:06. Reason: updated the post
                            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by cpdavis35 View Post
                              Not yet found a birth for Mary Rockley with father's name of Joseph. According to the 1841 census Mary is listed as 5 years younger than Henry (50 & 45) but i can only find one in Nottinghamshire around 5 years after Henry c1891 was:-

Mary Rockley birth 14 dec 1797. bap/christ 25 dec 1797. Place, Lowdham, Nottingham. Father Richard Hall Mother Elizabeth. But as the parents don't match up to what you are looking for this is probably not correct...
                              Craig, dont forget that the ages were sometimes 'rounded' down too for the 41 cens
                              Julie

Comment

there are two other deaths as well,

Henry d. 23/04/1865 2yrs
                                Sarah d. 26/04/1865 4yrs
                                I think these two belonged to Henry & Sarah HALL as they seem to have quite a few children bapt in BJ too.
                                Julie

Comment

I keep forgetting that Dark, thanks... sometimes i wish they had put correct ages on back then... would make it a bit easier on things that are pre 1837 for us.
                                  Craig

Comment

Craig.....I've got Mary Rockley baptised in Bulcote cum Burton Joyce (ie Burton Joyce serving as the church for Bulcote too) on 17 Aug 1794. As Henry's Mary says she was born in Bulcote on the 1851 census, I assume that's her (although Lowdham is next door too) I go straight back through the the 2 Henrys in Burton Joyce (if you see what I mean).....my g grandmother was the second Henry in Burton Joyce's daughter, Elizabeth

Comment

Thanks for the other children, Julie.....still no Joseph, Phoebe or Patience though.....maybe they weren't too fond of their parents & Henry named his son after himself only

Comment

no worries Grey, so are the other two children (Henry & Sarah) part of your family too? (parents Henry & Sarah)

ahh I see that Henry Hall married Sarah DRING in BJ 12/01/1857
                                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 07-07-11, 20:26.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X