Emmeline ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emmeline ?

I have Charles Hemming, born abt 1808 in North Littleton, Worcs on the 1851 and 1861 censuses with wife Emmeline (alternative spellings are available, like Emmiline) born abt 1814 and various children, the eldest of whom was born about 1836. Charles died after the census was taken in 1861, and I have her in the 1871, 1881 and 1891 censuses before she died in 1894, but can't find her in the 1841 census.

I've looked for a marriage between Charles Hemming and Emmeline (maiden name unknown), until I've gone cross-eyed, so wondered if anyone here can find something that I can't.

According to various census records for Emmeline she was born at Marlcliff, which is between Bideford on Avon (in Warwickshire) and Cleeve Prior (in Worcestershire). Cleeve Prior is the next village along the road (in the opposite direction from Marlcliff) to North Littleton, so they're all within a five mile radius.

In an ideal world, I'd like to find her maiden name, their marriage and the family in the 1841 census, but I do realise that this is not an ideal world.

And an unfortunate side effect of all this is that I can't get that Hot Chocolate song "Emma, Emmaline .... " out of my head.

HELP ME! Please help me!
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

A possible for 1841 census

HO107; Piece 1200; Book: 17; Civil Parish: Cleeve Prior; County: Worcestershire; Enumeration District: 2; Folio: 10; Page: 14; Line: 13;

- transcribed on Ancestry as Charles Hemmy b1804
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine.

I'm wondering if the 10yr old is a "Maria", although it's hard to make out the writing, who, by 1851 had died (because she's not with the family).

Or, on second thoughts, had moved away for work.
      Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 05-07-11, 11:56. Reason: second thoughts

Comment

Would agree it's Maria. She may have left home by 1851 as she would be 20 by then, maybe in service somewhere?
        Elaine

Comment

Even though I've widened the dates search back to 1825, I still can't find a marriage.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallTownGirl View Post
            Even though I've widened the dates search back to 1825, I still can't find a marriage.
            The problem is it may not be available online.
            A birth certificate of one of the children would give you mother's maiden name, which might help the search but would also verify that you have the right one when you fnd it!
            Elaine

Comment

Working...
            X