Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Criminal Records & Transportation info (Australia)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criminal Records & Transportation info (Australia)

Am trying to locate the criminal records for a distant relative.
    Name Mary Gough b abt 1828 in Coventry, Warwickshire.
    1st trial 7 March 1845; sentenced to imprisonment but no reason so far found

2nd trial 12 June 1846; sentenced to 10 years transportation. I know that she was transported on the ship 'Asia' which left for Queensland 9 March 1847.

Would like to know what crimes she had committed and what happened to her once she arrived in Australia.

Any info would be appreciated
    Last edited by Caroline; 08-07-11, 10:57.

1st Trial - larceny 2 months
    2nd Trial - larceny from the person before and felony - 10 years

Have images if you want them. Send me your e-mail in a PM.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Info supplied really useful. Have now found out that my ancestor, Mary Gough, arrived in Tasmania 21/07/1847. In 1853 she was given a Conditional Pardon and left Launceston on the ship 'Clarence' bound for Melbourne.
      This is a BIG ask but can anyone help with info on what happened to Mary after her arrival in Melbourne?

Comment

Hi
        Might be best if you change your thread title for Australian help.
        good luck
        Jan

Comment

Do you know the name of her parents, might make it a bit easier as there are several Mary Goughs' in the ancestry records

David
          Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Janet H. View Post
            Hi
            Might be best if you change your thread title for Australian help.
            good luck
            Jan
            Done.
            Caroline
            Caroline's Family History Pages
            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi David

I have her parents listed as John Gough & Ann Sadler.

Eric

Comment

Thanks for changing the title.

Comment

here is the search page for victorian births, deaths, and marriages. it costs 99c a page to view results. and if you want certs, it is aus $17.50 per cert. make sure you select 'uncertified image' if you buy any, as then you will be able to download the cert instantly. if you choose the other option, the office will print it and mail it to you, it will cost a lot more though!!

bmd's start in 1836 for vic, but they are parish registers really until 1853. so if mary married after 1853, you will have both her parents names on the marriage cert. same for her death, assuming she died in vic, and also assuming the informant knew her parents names.

Comment

Originally posted by ezza1146 View Post
                    Info supplied really useful. Have now found out that my ancestor, Mary Gough, arrived in Tasmania 21/07/1847. In 1853 she was given a Conditional Pardon and left Launceston on the ship 'Clarence' bound for Melbourne.
                    This is a BIG ask but can anyone help with info on what happened to Mary after her arrival in Melbourne?
                    Hi
                    i note this post is many years old but just wondering how you went with your searching re Mary Gough. I have just started doing some family history searching and I'm pretty confident I'm her great great grandson. If you still seek information about her, then happy to share and likewise would welcome any information you have about her.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, John.

Ezza hasn't logged into the forum for a few months so may not see your message. If you would like to make contact with her then it might be best to send her a private message. Click on her username to the left of her post and you will see the message option - providing her email address is still current she will receive an email notification of your message.
                      Elaine

Comment

Working...
                      X