Ancestry transcriptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry transcriptions

I must say that I was thrilled to see that Ancestry has all the Dorset BDM's for roughly the whole 19th century on line,
    all taken from the actual church records (which are included).
    I must also point out that I am not so thrilled at the error rate though, one particular example was the birth entry
    entry to my uncle Henry Charles DURNFORD. It was transcribed as Henry Charles OWRNFORD. His father (Sylvester Durnford)
    as SYLOTTE OWRNFORD. At least they got the mothers forenames correct (Jael Florence).
    All these records were quite legible and I makes it hard to understand how they could bet it so messed up.

David
    Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Hope you made corrections to them!

Comment

I'm thrilled with the West Yorkshire parish record images but I've just sent Ancestry an email because I have a strong suspicion that some of the parishes have been assigned the wrong name!

Anne

Comment

a lot of the time it is people who dont speak english as a first language that is the reason some things get horrible transcripts.

Comment

where did they get the images from ?
          the LDS seem to have removed the images they used to have online for Cheshire

Can anyone photograph parish registers and publish them ?
          Last edited by Mike Fisher; 04-07-11, 20:32.
          Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
          http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

I remember being at an archive in West Yorkshire last year and not being able to see one set of registers because they were being filmed. Can't remember which one, maybe Wakefield or Sheffield.
            Anne

Comment

Have always made it a policy to send back corrections to Ancestry. In reality the way I found this one was to just use the forenames
              and year of birth when searching. You come up with a lot but in this instance I was lucky as the name was in the first 50.

David

David

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Fisher View Post
                where did they get the images from ?
                the LDS seem to have removed the images they used to have online for Cheshire

Can anyone photograph parish registers and publish them ?
                I believe you'll find that copyright in the parish registers lies with the current incumbent (vicar/rector). You would need his/her permission.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Each record has a tag on it which appears to read DORSET history centre if that makes any sense to UK members. There is also some other
                  writing on the tag which is far too small read even at 400 percent magnification. I presume that Ancestry has bought the rights to publish
                  these records from whoever owned them.

David

David

Comment

I agree. My grandmother, actual name Sonia Gorbaty, was listed on her marriage certificate as Sarah Gorlbatti, and they even managed in two censuses to mess up my grandfather Isaac Benjamin as something bearing little relation to it. Thanks to members of this site who helped me find the right people!

Comment

Working...
                    X