Essex ancestors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essex ancestors?

This may be of interest to those with Essex ancestors. According to the Essex Record Office's newsletter, the existing online parish registers are being extended, but now they are going to be charging after 30 August. Parish registers will cover from at least 1538 to 1837, and there will be others after that date as and when they become available. The cost have not yet been announced. Images will be free in the record office itself. Also included will be a number of Wills.
    Last edited by keldon; 04-07-11, 11:07.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Thanks for this. Although I've found a lot on Essex Ancestors, so often the period covered isn't the one I want! I guess however much it costs it will be cheaper and quicker than travelling to Chelmsford to the Records Office.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Does that mean that they will be online, or only available at the records office. ?

David
      Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
        Does that mean that they will be online, or only available at the records office. ?

David
        Online AND at the records office but pay to view online, free at the RO (til now its been free to view those records which have already been put online.)
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

JudithM,
          Thanks. I look forward to seeing them.

David

David

Comment

I look forward to them too and certainly a lot easier for me than getting to the records office.
            Jenny

Comment

Meanwhile here's the link to see what they already have online while its still free. To see what registers we have available click here then find the parish you want and you'll get a list of al their register holdings, with the online ones listed as digital images. They are not indexed so having clicked to view you get image 1 - in the case of the one I'm looking at at the moment that's a nice picture of its front cover and can then scroll down the list of images to search. The register I have up is baptisms, burials and marriages 1558-1812 and has 135 images so a bit of guesswork needed to home in on the page I want.
              Last edited by JudithM; 05-07-11, 10:53.

Comment

I haven't found anything at all on there for my Margerums of Weeley.
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                  I haven't found anything at all on there for my Margerums of Weeley.
                  I'm weeley sorry to hear that Wendy (sorry couldn't resist :D)
                  Seriously though, is that because they only have early registers for Weeley online at present? If you let me know who/when you are searching for i will gladly take a look next time I'm at the ERO.

Comment

Nobody in particular Judith, just couldn't find any images to look at just lists of Parishes. Maybe I'm not looking properly but I only find lsits of registers and nothing else.
                    Wendy

Comment

Does this help? First time I've tried to insert a screen shot so not sure what you'll see.
                      Once you have selected your parish and got a list of registers up for that parish there should be a column for what format they are held in, If it says digital image click on view to be taken to the images. Capture.jpg
                      Last edited by JudithM; 05-07-11, 13:07.

Comment

Not found any that says image just microfiche.
                        Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                          Not found any that says image just microfiche.
                          Hopefully, it is those registers that will soon be available on the pay-for-browse.
                          Phil
                          historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

As a furriner, I was astounded by the number of parishes in Essex, and, I presume in other British counties as well. I have an
                            old map of Essex published by THE INSTITUTE OF HERALDIC AND GENEALOGICAL STUDIES. Presumably this organisation is still
                            extant and copies can be downloaded by those who have need of them.

David

David

Comment

hmmm always for the essex registers i need they are on microfiche. or there are online images, but for a period i dont need! here's hoping its cheap and easy to find what you need. and if it is pay per view, will they transcribe records so you can find exactly what you need?

Comment

I've just been advised by the ERO that these will be scale of charges.
                                1 day £5.00
                                1 week £15.00
                                1 month £25.00
                                6 months £50.00
                                1 year £75.00

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                will they transcribe records so you can find exactly what you need?
                                That's not supplied. Just the images, as far as I understand.
                                Last edited by keldon; 07-07-11, 16:21.
                                Phil
                                historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by grumpy View Post
                                  I have an old map of Essex published by THE INSTITUTE OF HERALDIC AND GENEALOGICAL STUDIES. Presumably this organisation is still extant and copies can be downloaded by those who have need of them.
                                  You can purchase these maps - 4.50 pounds each
                                  - http://www.ihgs.ac.uk/shop/contents/...aps/index.html
                                  Elaine

Comment

Probably value at that price. I have no idea where mine came from, was even contemplating tossing it out a few weeks
                                    ago but glad I didn't, as some of my ancestors moved around quite a lot and they would be hard to follow without map.

David

David

Comment

The pay-to-browse system is now up and running at the ERO. It looks that some parishes have now post-1837 registers. Apparently lots more to come.
                                      Starts here
                                      Last edited by keldon; 05-11-11, 15:01.
                                      Phil
                                      historyhouse.co.uk

Comment

hmm they finally have one parish i need. i need to dig in my tree and see what else i need.....

Comment

Working...
                                        X