Looking for MYERS in 1881

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for MYERS in 1881

I am looking for Rebecca Myers(she married Charles Gill in 1889) born 1861 in Whitechapel & her son Louis Myers born in 1877 in Homerton. Rebecca was unmarried at the time of Louis’s birth as she was single at the time of her marriage to Charles Gill. It seems that Louis became Henry Louis MAYERS in the 1901 & 1911 census.

Charles died in 1897 & Rebecca married John Gadd in 1916. I can’t find Rebecca in 1911 either.

This is the family in 1891.

GILL Charles Head M 28 General Labourer Cambridge,Orwell
    GILL Rebecca Wife F 30 London,Whitechapel
    GILL Phoebe Daughter F 7 mths ditto
    MYERS Louis Son M 14 London, Homerton

I do have subs for Ancestry & FMP but I just cannot locate Rebecca & Louis in 1881. Any help would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you
    Pauline

Do you have Louis' birth certificate? Rebecca sounds Jewish and it would be most unusual for a very young Jewish girl to have a child out of wedlock (but not impossible of course...)

OC

Comment

No I don't OC. There is a possible birth for Louis Myers in Whitechapel, Sept qtr 1878 but I'm not sure if it's the 'right' one. Maybe a copy of this cert should be my starting point.

Pauline

Comment

I see on Ancestry's LMA records that when Henry Louis Mayers married in 1900 his father was named as James Mayers, an engineer. Of course if this is your Louis and he was illegitimate he may have invented James for respectability.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Yes,this is Louis. I believe that James Mayers, father, may well have been 'invented'. That's my problem. I am having trouble working out the fiction from the non fiction. If only I can find a 'true/actual' starting point then maybe I can move on from there.It's not easy is it ?

Pauline

Comment

Hiya Pauline,

Have a google, there seem to be a few trees with Rebecca in.
            Jacky

Comment

Thanks Tilly Mint. Will do.

Pauline

Comment

According to the marriage cert, Rebecca's father was Abraham, a tailor.

Is this her family in 1871?

Abraham's an antiquarian, though.

The same family is here in 1881:

There's a daughter Rita, who's the same age as Rebecca, but no sign of Louis.

Do you have a baptism for Rebecca?

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. I will follow up in the morning. I live in Cyprus - 2 hours ahead so I'll be on the boards again tomorrow a.m.

Thank you

Pauline

Comment

Thanks Mary but Rita ( Rebecca ) died in 1892 so couldn't be my Rebecca and no, I don't have a baptism for Rebecca. She first appears with Louis in 1891. I thought if I could find her & Louis in 1881 then all would become much clearer.

Pauline

Comment

Do you have any address at all? Also, although Rebecca said she was single when she married, she may not have been..
                      if she previously married and had a 'Jewish' wedding only, it was not necc registered as a civil marriage..

Comment

Working...
                      X