Dr Williams library London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Williams library London

I've found a couple of births in 1804 and 1833 on the familysearch site at Dr Williams Library London. They are entered as births not baptisms so seems a bit odd. Anyone else come across births here?

Thanks
    Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Originally posted by congletonian View Post
    I've found a couple of births in 1804 and 1833 on the familysearch site at Dr Williams Library London. They are entered as births not baptisms so seems a bit odd. Anyone else come across births here?

Thanks
    Liz
    Several of my non-conformist records from there have birth date, baptism date and names of maternal grandparents too.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Dr William's Library was a birth registry, often used by non-conformists to register births.

The births are indexed on FamilySearch, but the records are online at The Genealogist
      Dedicated to helping you find your roots. The Genealogist is all about family history research and discovering your ancestors using a wide variety of data from 1100 through to the present day.

for a fee, of course!

William's Library registrations are wonderful! The ones that I have have maternal grandfather's name.

Comment

thanks very much both. Yes the familysearch results give parents names which is very useful. This is the first time I've come across Williams library registrations in my research.

Liz
        my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Comment

Hello,

I am new to the forum, so "Hello".

If on the record it states Dr Williams Library as the place of christening does that mean the infant was born in the London area only?.

TIA if you can help.

Chloe

Comment

Hello Chloe and welcome to FTF.

Dr Williams Library is a collection of non conformist records gathered in a variety of ways from all over the country. It was not a place of christening, it was where the records were gathered together.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              Hello Chloe and welcome to FTF.

Dr Williams Library is a collection of non conformist records gathered in a variety of ways from all over the country. It was not a place of christening, it was where the records were gathered together.

OC
              Thank you for your welcome Olde Crone and your reply, so how would I know what part of the country my ancestor was born?

Would a record of his birth be held there still?

Chloe

Comment

Dr Wm's Library records are great. They usually record the name of the child, parents' names, maternal grandfather's name, and the place of birth, and the witnesses to the birth. They may have been recorded some period of time after the birth.

They are indexed on familysearch and thegenealogist, and available online from thegenealogist - pay per view.
                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 21-04-12, 00:16.

Comment

They are wonderful records and most are now online. The trouble is that some places just have the bare facts (sometimes not even fact). Family Search has some as births and they are baptisms, some a s baptisms that are births.

You have to pay for the original image. I found that very expensive but bought a sub to The Genealogist and have downloaded many of mine. It made it a lot cheaper than going through the BMD Registers site.
                  The original image often has the mather's maiden name and sometimes even grandparents and witnesses with signatures.

Example of mine...

This is to certify that Myles, son of william Ariel and Elizabeth, his wife, who is the daughter of David Kirkby, was born in Bristol in the parish os St Ausgustines in the county of Bristol on the 29th day of July in the year 1791, and at whose birth we were present.
                  Signed.....Nancy Elizabeth Mills, Elizabeth Taylor and Agatha Ariel.

All the witnesses were aunts of Myles.

Absolutey worth searching.

Comment

I went to Dr Williams Library a few years back and what a lovely old place it is!

All mahogany bookshelves and dusty old corners - I found in one of their year books an account of my 6 x great grandfather's obituary as he had been a Methodist Minister in London and to cap it all they had a sketch of him in the book that was done in 1832 prior to a biography being prepared but he died before that was done :( They kindly let me take a photo - no charge - and I couldn't have been more pleased.

Well worth the cost of a train fare and a day out in London.

Margaret

Comment

Hear all about it!! ;D

Dr Williams’ Library: an early birth registry
                      Dr Williams' Library in London is an essential resource for people who are researching the history of protestant nonconformity in England and Wales. But

Chris
                      Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Many, many thanks for all your replies it certainly sounds a brilliant place to visit.

Thanks Chris for the link very interesting listening, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Chloe

Comment

Working...
                        X