Searching for Isabella Martin Crosbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for Isabella Martin Crosbie

Hello, I know this is an old thread but for the last year or so I've been researching my family links in this area, Castle Douglas, Crossmichael, Gatehouse of Fleet, Buittle. Family names are Crosbie, Fullarton & Caven. My Great Grandmother, Isabella Martin Crosbie, b. 1852 at Anwoth - parents Francis (Frank) Crosbie and Mary Fullarton of Castle Douglas. Frank worked as a butler at Cardoness House till 1868-1870 when he left for Liverpool to work in a wines and spirits warehouse. Despite various attempts I cannot find Isabella in the 1871 census anywhere though her mother and several brothers and sisters were living in Gatehouse and Castle Douglas. We were always told Isabella came from Dalbeattie but as yet cannot find a link to the town. She was old enough at the time to work in service so may have worked in Dalbeattie, or gone to Liverpool. I know her father and brother were in Liverpool in 1870 as her brother died in an accident at work and there is a coroner's report. I've looked in various trade directories but Isabella is elusive between the 1861 census and 1878 when she married my Gt Grandfather in Stockport. The wedding certificate gives her address as 3 Pleasant St Liverpool which is where Frank had been living for a few years. I'm just trying to fill in the jigsaw pieces. Does anyone have any ideas where I could look next?

Hi maisymum,
    I have moved your post to a thread of its own in our Research Qs & As forum. Hopefully someone will be able to help.
    Elaine

Comment

I suppose it's possible that if she was a servant her name could have been entered incorrectly on the census as the householders wouldn't necessarily be that bothered to ensure they knew the correct details or that they were entered correctly. I have seen it for servants that they just put a first name and didn't bother about the surname.
      Margaret

Comment

Thanks for this suggestion. I've tried searching under various names but as yet have found nothing but live in hope that one day something will turn up.

Comment

Have a look at this Eliza Crosbie in 1871 RG10; Piece: 1087; Folio: 83; Page: 29
          Also have you tried looking at all the Isabella's no surname born 1852 Scotland in the 1871 to see if anything jumps out as possible?
          Margaret

Comment

Long shot, but she didnt have grandparents/uncle in Liverpool did she - says daughter but they are a fair old age to have such young daughters ?
            1871:

Name Age
            William Crosbie 67
            Janet Crosbie 59
            Margaret Crosbie 23
            Bella Crosbie 19
            Janet Crosbie 17

Ive got the kid with the noose on ancestry now, so cant look any more :(
            Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 30-06-11, 23:37.

Comment

Searching for Isabella Martin Crosbie

Thanks Heather, they could well be related as when I've checked records for the Mount Pleasant area of Liverpool there appear to be quite a few Crosbies living there in the late 1800s. There was even a Scottish Presbyterian church on Mt Pleasant which suggests it was a Little Scotland of sorts. The Dumfries - Liverpool connection was quite prominent at the time and there are still Crosbies in Liverpool today so I've probably got distant cousins there I've never known. Luckily I'm only in Stockport so not so far away. I'll have a look at that family and see what transpires. Angie

Comment

Working...
              X