JACKS 1861 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JACKS 1861 census

Can anyone read the birth place of Charles Jacks age 18 Hagley Rd Edgbaston in the 1861 census

here is the Ancestry page
    Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
    http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

The second word could be Bromley. The B of Bromley looks similar to the B of Birmingham a couple of lines down.
    Elaine

Comment

? Shropshire Bromley.

Is there a Bromley in Shropshire
      Elaine

Comment

Hello. Mike.....I'm just going by the fact that the first word looks to me like Shropshire. I don't know the area at all, but I've googled &, apparently, one of the main towns is Broseley, so that seems the most likely to me

Comment

There is a Bromley in Shropshire too.

Comment

On the page before is Ann Hopwood nee Jacks and her birth place is given as Plox Green Shropshire , which is correct as she was baptised in Westbury, Shropshire.
            Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

They appear to have registered Charles brother and sister but not Charles don't they Mike? Maybe he arrived so soon after the marriage that they didn't think to register him!

p.s. I think it looks like Bromley too but in 1851 it says Westbury.
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks folks I am still trying to sort out the Charles Jacks,s on the Shropshire-Wales boarder area.(see thread on Charles Jacks in the Militia records)
                Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on

Comment

I agree with Chrissie....it doesn't look like Westbury on the link you've given. Maybe he was born in one place/baptised in another or maybe he got confused ? (Not that that ever happens to me, of course)

Comment

Don't forget it wasn't him that filled in the census as he was a servant. Accents and misunderstandings from employers could account for most of the errors; lying the rest!! He was lucky to have his name written correctly; some of my servant rellies have been the most difficult to find.
                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

He was actually living with his sister and brother in law though wasn't he Kat?
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

you might want to also try JAQUES/JAKES/JACQUES as alternative names too, I have been slowly working through the possibilities of variations with these names.
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                        X