Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please Help me solve this mystery..

For many years i have sat on this,not knowing much,no more than now :(
    William Rowlands born 1845 Roath,Cardiff Glamorgan,parents William & Mary Rowalnds both born Rummney,Monmouthshire William died 1850 & Mary in 1851. At Ty-Draw Cottage Roath.

William & siblings lived quite close even though they were split up,they kept in touch supporting each other.

After many years i finally tracked down William & found him on the 1911 census with his wife Elizabeth nee Davies with their 2 children the only survinig ones.
    They stated they were married 41 years ago so around 1870,but in Glamorgan,i have no idea,the only reason i know her surname was Davies due to me obtaining thier daughter Elizabeth Ann,known as Lizzie birth cert,she was born 19/8/1885 at 21 Tramway Aberdare,Hirwain. Other info i have,but not birth certs are Margaret 1875,Mary,1877 & Sarah 1878 all born around Hirwain,problem is on the 1911 census they had a total of 12 chidlren & only 2 living,it looks like Margaret had died as well because there was only 2 daughter with them....I have a lot of 'digging' to do;) I have tracked them back over various census's but not with all the children......They seemd to have died in-between census :>(

I have tried to get their marriage cert,i ordered one & it was the wrong one,but there is no marriage for them,not around the time they put on the census,i know that's not to be taken as truth but i have looked all around the years that i think would fit & there isn't one,unless like normal in my lot,they didn't bother to get married!

Trying to track down the other 8 children is going to be such hard work,:(
    If anyone else can spot them,please do let me know.
    Thanks,
    Kaz.
    In very hot Poland.
    "Genealogy -disturbing the dead,and irritating the living"

this is a list of William Rowlands marrying a Davies see if you can spot them ?

meant to say these are between 1865 and 1875

Comment

or this one
      William Rowlands and Elizabeth Davies March 1869 in
      Aberystwith 11b 102

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        or this one
        William Rowlands and Elizabeth Davies March 1869 in
        Aberystwith 11b 102
        Thanks Val I have looked at that one many times,but why at Aberystwith? That's a long way from Roath in Glamorgan & she came from Dowlais,just can't figure out if it is them,why there?
        Kaz........

Comment

So, do you have William and Elizabeth in the 1881 or 1891 census, or even in 1871 ? Perhaps by backtracking through the census you will be able to check if they were married before 1871. Maybe one of them was working in Aberystwith, or maybe the parents disapproved of the marriage to they eloped ? Maybe, like lots of people these days they just liked the church. Witnesses to the marriage might help, or might not if they eloped.

Di
          Diane
          Sydney Australia
          Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
            So, do you have William and Elizabeth in the 1881 or 1891 census, or even in 1871 ? Perhaps by backtracking through the census you will be able to check if they were married before 1871. Maybe one of them was working in Aberystwith, or maybe the parents disapproved of the marriage to they eloped ? Maybe, like lots of people these days they just liked the church. Witnesses to the marriage might help, or might not if they eloped.

Di
            Di,
            Think i got them on the 1871 census,William lied about his biirth [if it's him] he said St Mellons but his dad was born around there but so was his brother,i have found a possible marriage,i have sent for the marriage just now,not due to be posted till 1st July & 'yes dear' is here with me on the 3rd,so a long wait if it don't appear before he leaves :>(
            Thanks,
            Kaz.

Comment

Kaz,
              I can see why you've sat on this one for a while!!
              In 1891 they're at Aberdare with 4 girls Margaret 1875
              Mary 1877
              Sarah 1879
              Elizabeth Ann 1885

I doubt whether there were any other children between Margaret, Mary & Sarah, but there must have been some between Sarah & Elizabeth Ann, using Pontypridd Registration District to narrow the search, there are quite a number of children dying age 0 or 1, you might be able to get clues for their names from William's sibling's names. There will probably be some between 1869-1879...possibly named Mary or William after his parents, or named after Elizabeth's parents.
              ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Originally posted by Meridian Line View Post
                Kaz,
                I can see why you've sat on this one for a while!!
                In 1891 they're at Aberdare with 4 girls Margaret 1875
                Mary 1877
                Sarah 1879
                Elizabeth Ann 1885

I doubt whether there were any other children between Margaret, Mary & Sarah, but there must have been some between Sarah & Elizabeth Ann, using Pontypridd Registration District to narrow the search, there are quite a number of children dying age 0 or 1, you might be able to get clues for their names from William's sibling's names. There will probably be some between 1869-1879...possibly named Mary or William after his parents, or named after Elizabeth's parents.
                Hi Louise,
                Yes just a little teaser.
                I did try all the normal names but knowing my lot they choose names that are not the norm in the family,one family member called one of their children Erling Dyfodog & just like my mum & dad did,they only did that to stop people moaning that we weren't named after them :>)

The marriage i found could be them as her name is Eliza Davies,so fingers crossed.....Then perhaps i could find out more on her side to see if chidlren match....
                I also did notice on one census that one of their children got married & then was a widow,her surname was still Rowlands,did that mean she married a Rowlands or went back to her name of Rowlands?
                Doin't you just love it?
                Kaz.

Comment

When you get married it's usually in the name you are currently using so if someone's a widow it will be her married name and the only way you would see her maiden name is to get the certificate and see her father's name.
                  Margaret

Comment

I see in 1901 daughter Margaret is listed as a widow - is this the one you were referring to. The surnames are just dittoed after William's name so, although it is possible she married another Rowland, the most likely explanation is that either William, or the enumerator just listed the daughters with ditto without remembering her surname should have been different.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Just a thought. When someone moves around a long way between censuses, their occupation is often a clue. I have miners and paper-makers and railwaymen who pop up many miles away - lo and behold there's a coalmine or papermill or engine shed nearby.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                        I see in 1901 daughter Margaret is listed as a widow - is this the one you were referring to. The surnames are just dittoed after William's name so, although it is possible she married another Rowland, the most likely explanation is that either William, or the enumerator just listed the daughters with ditto without remembering her surname should have been different.
                        Hi Judith,
                        Yes your right about that,she could of married a Rowlands but that's going to be quite a long search as there are quite a few!!!!
                        Thanks,
                        Kaz.

Comment

Uncle John,
                          I did think of that,but the 2 remaining daughters died in the family home many years later,so i still think they were there...............
                          Going to apply for the daughters death certs just to be sure............
                          Thanks,
                          Kaz.

Comment

what about this Marriage?

1869 sept q

Eliza DAVIES- William ROWLANDS, Merthyr Tydfil, 11a 524 (this would fall under Glamorgan district)

Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

1871 cens: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...1wales&indiv=1

1881:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=7618
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                              X