Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Birth origin and father of William Hairyes ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth origin and father of William Hairyes ?

Hi everyone im brand new to this so i apoligize for any mistakes. In the course of researching my family ive came to a dead end regarding my ancestor William Hairyes. I know he was born in 1831 and died Bramley,Leeds april 1890. He had 3 wives Hannah Tiplin,Elizbeth Hogg,Mary Ann Hoys,his children were Henry hairyes,John,Hannah Mary, James,Samuel and William.Ive got a marriage certificate for William stating his fathers name as William Hairyes and fathers job ag labouerer.William born 1831's name is spelt Hairyes in the 1861,1871,1881 cencus.living in Harroagate 1861,Knasbourgh 1871 and Holbeck in Leeds 1881. however the problem is he has born Balk ,Yorkshire in 1861,born Scotland 1871,and born at sea 1881. so i cant trace back further with 3 different places of birth,so i was wondering if i could use your expertise to help.thanks.

Hi ,
    Welcome to FTF. Have you looked under any of the places for his birth and if so what result?
    Margaret

Comment

william hairyes

i have tried and found nothing for scotland but i havent tried for balk or at sea. i did manage to find a hairs in 1841 cencus in elloughton east yorkshire which has a william hairs aged 24 ag laborere with wife elizabeth,and sons a william hairs 5 yrs old and a jospeh hairs,do you think this could be them? why would my desendent have 3 different places of birht? thanks

Comment

Three different places of birth probably means he doesn't really know where he was born or that he was trying to avoid being identified for some reason.
        Margaret

Comment

I saw that family in Elloughton in 1841, but I'm a bit doubtful whether it's the same family.

There's a baptism for Joseph in Elloughton in 1837, and a baptism for a William Hair with parents William and Elizabeth in Skirpenbeck, Yorks in 1841, but it seems unlikely to be Joseph's brother, as the younger one wouldn't normally be baptised before the older one. The baptism date is also very late for it to be your William, though not impossible.

There's a William Haryes with wife Mary Ann in Kirkby Malzeard in 1851; his age is hard to read, but probably 24. Can't see a marriage for them, though, and Kirkby Malzeard is quite a distance from both Balk and Harrogate/Knaresborough. However, he says he was born in the parish of Thirsk, and Balk is near Thirsk, so he could be yours.

The image of William's 1885 marriage is on Ancestry:

and shows his father as William Hairyes, lawyer. His father is extremely unlikely to have been a lawyer; it's written very clearly, and definitely doesn't say sawyer (which is a common mistranscription of lawyer), so maybe the vicar made a mistake.
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 26-06-11, 21:07.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
            Three different places of birth probably means he doesn't really know where he was born or that he was trying to avoid being identified for some reason.
            This is a possibility, because I can't see a death for his first (or second?) wife (Anna) before he married Elizabeth.
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 26-06-11, 21:13.

Comment

I found another child for William and Elizabeth among the West Yorks baptisms on Ancestry: Ada baptised in 1877. This is the matching birth and death (from FreeBMD):

Births Mar 1877
              Hairyes Ada Whorler Bramley 9b 445

Deaths Dec 1877
              HAIRYES Ada Waller 0 Bramley 9b 248

Comment

The 1858 marriage to Hannah Tipling is also on Ancestry; this time his father's a turner:

Comment

Is this another child found on FMP

HAIRYES, William Whorley
                  Registration District: Help Bramley
                  County: Yorkshire
                  Year of Registration: 1872
                  Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
                  Mother's Maiden Name: Not available before 1911 Q3
                  Volume No: Help 9B
                  Page No: Help 395

Margaret

Comment

Yes, that one's listed on the 1881 census.

I wonder where the middle name Whorley/Whorler or Waller came from?

Comment

Can't see a birth at sea on FMP.
                      Margaret

Comment

No, I had a look there as well.

Can't see anything obvious on the Scottish censuses, but they're badly transcribed and there are no images.

My guess is that William is the one in Kirkby Malzeard in 1851, and he was born in the Balk/Thirsk area.

I had a look at the images for Balk in 1841, but he isn't there.
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 22-07-11, 16:07.

Comment

I saw that one in 1851n and thought it might be him but wasn't too sure of the geography of that are to know where Balk was in relation to Thirsk.
                          Sounds like he was 'on the dodge' with perhaps bigamous marriages.
                          Margaret

Comment

Actually I think I was wrong to be suspicious: this is probably the death of wife Anna/Hannah, shortly before he married Elizabeth:

Deaths Jun 1867
                            Hairyes Hannah 28 Knaresbro' 9a 74
                            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 26-06-11, 22:29.

Comment

This is probably the death of the Mary Ann who was with William in 1851.

Deaths Dec 1854
                              Haryes Mary Ann Ripon 9a 51

(Kirkby Malzeard is in the Ripon RD)

Comment

I think this is probably the first marriage, as Ripon is the right district:

Marriages Dec 1847
                                CAMPBELL James Ripon 23 571
                                HARES William Ripon 23 571
                                KAY James Ripon 23 571
                                Knowles Mary Ann Ripon 23 571
                                LOFTHOUSE Jane Ripon 23 571
                                RICHMOND Mary Ann Ripon 23 571
                                RODWELL Jane Ripon 23 571
                                THOMPSON George Ripon 23 571

Comment

I've made some rough notes of the wives and children I've found so far:

Children of William and Mary Ann Knowles or Richmond (married 1847, Mary Ann died 1854):

None found so far

Children of William and Hannah Tiplin (married 1858; Hannah died q2 1867):

Henry, b. 1859 Knaresborough RD, bp 1859
                                  ? Elizabeth b 1861 Knaresborough RD (not found on census, and can’t see a baptism or death for her)
                                  ? John c 1866 (on census, but can’t find a birth or baptism)

Children of William and Elizabeth Hogg (married q3 1867; Elizabeth died 1882):

Hannah b q4 1867 Knaresborough RD
                                  Mary b 1870, Knaresborough RD
                                  Ada Whorler/Waller b 1877 Knaresborough RD, bp 1877
                                  William Whorley b 1872 Bramley RD
                                  George Thomas W b 1874 Bramley RD
                                  James Arthur W b 1878 Bramley RD
                                  ? Samuel b 1881 Bramley RD (not found on census)

Children of William and Mary Ann Hoys (married 1885; William died 1890):

None found so far, but haven’t found Mary Ann in 1891 yet.

The name Whorler/Whorley/Waller appears to be significant, and I wonder if it was William's mother's maiden name. Haven't found a Hairyes/Whorler etc. marriage yet, though, and as it wasn't used before 1867, it may be connected with Elizabeth. I image the W in James and George's names stands for Whorler or whatever.

I haven't found a lot in the West Yorks baptisms yet, but there's probably more to be found in New Wortley. The Ripon and Knaresborough area baptisms may not be there, depending on where they took place exactly.
                                  Last edited by Mary from Italy; 26-06-11, 22:49.

Comment

From a quick look at Genuki, I don't think Balk had a church. It appears to be in the parish of Kirby Knowle, but it's actually closer to Thirsk. The nearest church would be St. Mary's, Bagby, I think.

The Thirsk, Kirby Knowle and Bagby baptisms are on the IGI, but William doesn't seem to have been baptised in any of those places, assumng the transcriptions are accurate.
                                    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 26-06-11, 23:26.

Comment

Thanks for your help, Ive just found a burial for a william hairyes(spelt correcly) in ancetsry in 1840 june 13th in rothwell holy trinty aged 40. could this be william hairyes snr? can anyone find a birth for him now?

Comment

I have a marriage certificate for wiliam hairyes and elizabeth hogg stating his job ag labourer and his fathers job ag lab. so even through it looks very strong evidence that is him,why would it say fathers profession lawer.please help?

Comment

Working...
                                        X