Any chance of a 1911 lookup please??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any chance of a 1911 lookup please??

I think one of my chaps married a girl in Malta around 1906 and returned to the UK for the 1911.

I'm interested in the following record please;

George Elmer b1881, by 1911 living in Paddington. He might not be mine but the details should answer that.

Thanks.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

I still am a novice searching the summary books on Ancestry and then converting to the census but I've had a go.

Only one came up a Mr G W Elmer at 25 Hermitage Street, Paddington now I have to see if I can find it on the census to see more details and people.

Comment

err I am having trouble I knew I would but I do know there are 7 people in the house 4 males and 3 females.

But I'll persevere to get the actual census.

Comment

hoooray I've got it PM me your email Glen and I will email something!!!!

Comment

Thanks Maggie

PM on the way

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Well I understand how to translate the Summarys into the Census now

Comment

Looking at it I don't think that's your George from what you say.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Comment

Hi Maggie

I can't open the email at the mo (work pc doesn't like it), I do have several George Elmer names in my tree and a few have yet to be traced forwards from the 1905 period when the family connection to a certain area seemed to stop, a few are mentioned in the London area and possibly connected to the railways, it maight be from one of those the records belong to.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Hi Glen, The George Elmer at the above address is age 30 & a dustman. His wife of 5 yrs is Ellen & their 2 sons are James 5 & George 3.
                  There are three lodgers in the house with the surname Chaffin.
                  Last edited by Vivienne; 26-06-11, 12:34. Reason: got my hand slapped for the last sentance, so removed
                  Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                    Hi Maggie

I can't open the email at the mo (work pc doesn't like it), I do have several George Elmer names in my tree and a few have yet to be traced forwards from the 1905 period when the family connection to a certain area seemed to stop, a few are mentioned in the London area and possibly connected to the railways, it maight be from one of those the records belong to.
                    That's okay I don't think he's your George though his wife Ellen was born in Marylebone I think you said your George married in Malta so was expecting her to be Maltese perhaps plus he's a Dustman. But you'll see when you eventually open the attachment.

He's the only George Elmer coming up in Paddington your George might be somewhere else in London.

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                      He's the only George Elmer coming up in Paddington your George might be somewhere else in London.

He could be absolutely anywhere I suppose, must be a military link based on the 1901

Civil Parish: Gillingham
                      Ecclesiastical parish: Brompton Holy Trinity
                      County/Island: Kent

Registration district: Medway
                      Sub registration district: Gillingham

ED, institution, or vessel: Brompton Barracks

I never quite managed to work out anything with military medal cards so whether he stayed in the army for WWI i'm not sure, my knowledge of him is limited to say the least, I can't even think where I found the marriage now;

b. 1882
                      Stockport
                      e. Residence
                      Gillingham, Kent, England
                      m. Pirata, Mary A.
                      Jun 1906
                      Floriana, Malta

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                        He could be absolutely anywhere I suppose, must be a military link based on the 190I never quite managed to work out anything with military medal cards so whether he stayed in the army for WWI i'm not sure, my knowledge of him is limited to say the least, I can't even think where I found the marriage now;

b. 1882
                        Stockport
                        e. Residence
                        Gillingham, Kent, England
                        m. Pirata, Mary A.
                        Jun 1906
                        Floriana, Malta

Your George joined the Corps of Royal Engineers in 1901 - his age was 18...He was given the service no. 7497. He stated his trade was that of stonemason. In Nov 1901 his skills were tested by the corps - and he was classed as a 'fair' stone cutter ... .Over the next two years he advanced from fair to superior. Whilst in Malta he married Mary Assumta Pirata on 24 Feb 1906. He gives his father as George Thornton Elmer of 31? Cranwell Street. Lincoln.
                        On 18 January 1913 he was discharged from the army having served 12+ years with the colours. All this information is from the Army Service Records.
                        * I haven't checked any further than 1913 - maybe he re-enlisted during WW1

Nina

Comment

Originally posted by Inahaystack View Post
                          Your George joined the Corps of Royal Engineers in 1901 - his age was 18...He was given the service no. 7497. He stated his trade was that of stonemason. In Nov 1901 his skills were tested by the corps - and he was classed as a 'fair' stone cutter ... .Over the next two years he advanced from fair to superior. Whilst in Malta he married Mary Assumta Pirata on 24 Feb 1906. He gives his father as George Thornton Elmer of 31? Cranwell Street. Lincoln.
                          On 18 January 1913 he was discharged from the army having served 12+ years with the colours. All this information is from the Army Service Records.
                          * I haven't checked any further than 1913 - maybe he re-enlisted during WW1

Nina
                          Thanks Nina

A stonemason, that's a first for sure, I wonder if his aunt having married a stonemason had any influence on his trade? The Cranwell Street info is interesting too, I can almost narrow down the year the Elmer family moved there now.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                          X