Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with lap top

SEE UPDATE at the bottom -

I am posting this in the hope that a computer expert may have some idea what the problem might be. The only problem is that once I log off I may, or may not, be able to get back on to see any answers.

There is no problem with my internet connection - all saying fine. The last two mornings though I have been able to get into one site (this morning it is this one) and I can then move from page to page, post things etc, but if I try to open any other sites i.e. Ancestry, Google, GR etc etc the little spinning ring thing just keeps going around but no little green blocks to show that it's trying to connect. Occasionally I will get one, or two before it says .......... whatever it is that it says when you can't connect. Yesterday I went off for a while and when I came back later it was fine. Hubby doesn't appear to be having any problem on his, although recently we have had to 'repair' occasionally before we have internet access. I don't think there is a connection to the two problems though.

Can anyone suggest what the cause may be please?
    p.s. If I don't get back to look at any replies for a while you will know why

UPDATE -
    I have just checked by logging off from FTF and trying other sites. It seems the problem is that I can only have one site up at a time. I have to close one down before I open up another.
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 25-06-11, 09:25.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Chrissie, which browser and Windows version are you using? Is there a difference between the versions on your laptop and that of your husband's?
    Researching Nickless & Evans, Shropshire & Montgomeryshire. Also Ord and Coulson, Co. Durham

Comment

How long has this been happening. Have you thought of doing a system restore from before it started happening

Linda
      LindaG

Comment

Thank you Lorry and Linda

I am on XP and hubby is on Windows 7. We both use IE browser.
        I have occassional problems Linda, not always the same ones though. I don't like doing system restore for that reason.

I cleared out a load of favourites yesterday and since then, so far so good. So crossing fingers.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

dont know if this would have made a difference but I run ccleaner every night before I shut down its amazing what it gets rid of.
          Try CCleaner Professional for free. Clean up your PC automatically and increase your performances and online privacy.

Comment

Working...
          X