WIRELESS CONNECTIONi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIRELESS CONNECTIONi

I have just clicked on my icon on the task bar and as usual it shows the router that I use. Listed underneath this is a name Pamela101 not connected but showing a weak signal with option to connect. ***Just looked again and the name has gone.***

Is this likelly to be someone else using my system? I am certain it has only recently appeared.

I have only used this net book once away from home some three months ago when it was being set up. Is it safe to delete name and icon? or is it part of the system. I cannot remember now what the name was when used away but thought it was something like cloud.

I feel a little muddled over this as I kinow so little about Wireless maybe it is linked to TT. Any ideas please?
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Originally posted by Margaret N View Post
    I have just clicked on my icon on the task bar and as usual it shows the router that I use. Listed underneath this is a name Pamela101 not connected but showing a weak signal with option to connect. ***Just looked again and the name has gone.***

Is this likelly to be someone else using my system? I am certain it has only recently appeared.

I have only used this net book once away from home some three months ago when it was being set up. Is it safe to delete name and icon? or is it part of the system. I cannot remember now what the name was when used away but thought it was something like cloud.

I feel a little muddled over this as I kinow so little about Wireless maybe it is linked to TT. Any ideas please?
    It usually means you are seeing somebody else's wireless network. I often see my neighbour's Orange signal.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Same advice as caroline.
      I live in an area with a high density of flats and can see twenty other networks listed when i click on my icon.
      It is a normal task that your Netbook does, just listing the nearest/strongest wifi routers.
      Just because you see them does not mean it connects to them, that is why all wireless networks have password access security

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Caroline & Trevor,

Many thanks for your prompt replies. I do understand that happens but in a moment of panic did not think of it being new to Wireless.
        Cheers,
        Margaret N
        DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
          Just because you see them does not mean it connects to them, that is why all wireless networks have password access security
          Some days I've been thankfull for one connections in my area that doesn't have a password. I've no idea who it belongs to.
          http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....om/~steveabye/

Comment

Working...
          X