Shropshire Local Knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shropshire Local Knowledge

I have a birthplace recorded on 1851 Census of Shropshire, Clay Hill, does anyone with a better knowledge of the area know if this was a place in its own right or is it likely to be what we now know as Clee Hill?

Many Thanks,
    Helen in Glos

This is from an 1811 book. I don't know whether it's your Clay Hill.

"Clay Hill commonly called Brown Clay Hill, Shropshire. This hill is nearly a mile south from the village called Prior's Ditton. There is an ancient work of stone on this hill inclosing a considerable space of ground on the south west corner is the station."
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks Phil, its certainly a good place to start.
      Helen in Glos

Comment

Genuki has this, the highlighted text (by me) seems to me it's the same place as your Clay Hill;

CLEE, Shropshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
        Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
        "CLEE, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow, in the county of Salop, 7 miles N.E. of Ludlow, its post town. It is situated under Brown Clee Hill and on Clee Brook. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Hereford, value £172, in the patronage of the Rev. H. T. Pelham, who is lord of the manor. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is an ancient structure."
        "COXHEAD FORD, a hamlet in the parish of Clee St. Margaret, in the county of Salop, 7 miles N. of Ludlow."

Comment

Working...
        X