trying to find the children of Jonathan and Elizabeth Rushworth in leeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to find the children of Jonathan and Elizabeth Rushworth in leeds

Please could someone kindly look up Jonathan and Elizabeth Rushworth on the Ancestry West Yorkshire BMDs to see if you can find any children for them. The only one I know about is William born abt 1863 in Leeds. I have been unable to find his birth cert.

Thank you

there are loads of births for a William Rushworth about the right time in Yorkshire do you know where in Yorkshire he was born ?

Comment

Thats the problem I dont. Al I have is that he was born in Leeds. Which I know does not help. At one point he was living in St Clements West Leeds and Williams children were all born in Pottersnewton Leeds.

Sorry I know I'm not being much help

Comment

St Clements is in Bradford

Comment

I have tried to locate William and other siblings in Leeds - not having much success. Either the records were badly transcribed or one or both of the parents died.

Sandra

Comment

Thanks Sandra.

Jonathan died 1895 in Leeds infirmary. Not sure when Elizabeth died. If they had any other children I guess they would have did young as they dont show on the census.

Thanks

Jane

Comment

Originally posted by Jane Richards View Post
              Thats the problem I dont. Al I have is that he was born in Leeds. Which I know does not help. At one point he was living in St Clements West Leeds and Williams children were all born in Pottersnewton Leeds.

Sorry I know I'm not being much help
              If it's St. Clement's district - this was in Sheepscar in Leeds - would link in with the fact his children were all born in potternewton which is practically next to Sheepscar.

Comment

Thanks Chrisj1961

I think everything is slowly begging to fall in place
                I didnt realise Pottersnewton is next to Sheepscar. This place has come up during my research a couple of times.

Where would I find the parish records to Pottersnewton please. I ve had a look on the internet but have failed to come up with the name of the district for this area.

Thanks again for all your help

Jane

Comment

hi jane, maybe you could look on google maps for these places? whenever im trying to solve different generations, i google where they are all from, it makes it easier to see if things are geographically close- if you dont know where a place is, how can you see if it's a good place to find your family! specially concerning parish records, if your family is from leeds or surrounding villages, and you can only find one igi entry for the parents marrriage, and its on the opposite side of yorkshire, you know you have a problem!

Comment

Originally posted by Jane Richards View Post
                    Thanks Chrisj1961

I think everything is slowly begging to fall in place
                    I didnt realise Pottersnewton is next to Sheepscar. This place has come up during my research a couple of times.

Where would I find the parish records to Pottersnewton please. I ve had a look on the internet but have failed to come up with the name of the district for this area.

Thanks again for all your help

Jane
                    Did you mean for BMD registration districts?
                    It is actually Potternewton or Potter Newton and the registration districts for it were:

Leeds 1837 - 1845
                    Hunslet 1845 - 1862
                    Kirkstall 1862 - 1869
                    Leeds 1869 - 1904

I should think the parish records would be held at West Yorkshire Archive Service, Leeds if you want to view them personally rather than on Ancestry. The non conformist records won't be on Ancestry until the Autumn.

The West Yorkshire Archive Service collects and looks after the unique documentary heritage of the region. We have five district offices

Just had a quick look and found this birth on Freebmd for William Rushworth

Apr-May-Jun 1863
                    Registration district:
                    Kirkstall
                    9b 232
                    There are quite a few other Rushworths born Kirkstall between 1862 and 1869. It might be worth checking those names against some deaths for the same period.
                    Last edited by Katarzyna; 24-06-11, 22:45.
                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thank you Kat

I will take a look those records you suggested. Upto now I have only tried ordering births registered in Leeds and they have come back wrong. I will have to give the one you found a go and see if that is correct.

Now you have given me the registration district for Pottersnewton hopfully I will have more sucess in finding more people linked to our family.

Thank you for your help

Jane

Comment

Working...
                      X