recording data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recording data

As have come up against brickwalls at moment going back and have started to use a pad to hold tree on, decided to try and tidy up, data records have. What cant work out is good way of consistently recording places, do you just put down say Southwark, London, England or as it was Southwark, Surrey, England, boundary changes complicate it, how do others get over this. A further complication is areas in cities are further broken down in census records, do you ignore this and record that bit in notes. Would like to get it so others could in future see and understand what have done

I record locations as they were described at the time. And for census, I now put in the full address. Enumeration district names are sometimes not very descriptive.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Agree with uncle john, forget modern boundaries as its not likely u will use them, I only work on old boundaries with my tree.

Comment

Agree with the above, record what you find, don't correct things like boundaries cos, believe me, they haven't finished fiddling with boundaries yet and what is correct today will be wrong some time in the future.

OC

Comment

yup one town will be in huntingdon for one gen and in cambridge the next.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            yup one town will be in huntingdon for one gen and in cambridge the next.
            Thats problem have, what am trying to do, is make info as clear as can for others to understand, as some may well not be UK reidents, how do you show its same place. At mo have gone with advice above.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeg13 View Post
              Thats problem have, what am trying to do, is make info as clear as can for others to understand, as some may well not be UK reidents, how do you show its same place. At mo have gone with advice above.
              Decent family tree software will let you record the exact placename for every event. I'm currently using Family Tree Maker (FTM) 2010, having upgraded several times in the last 15 years or so. This version has online maps so you can stick a pin in the exact street (if it still exists).
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
              X