Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used up online resources

Hi folks,

I'm hoping for some expert help with tracing a relative.

His name was George Ashton, born in 1900 +/- 1 year

This chap is my grandfather. My dad was born in 1925 name removed and before he was 5 years old, his parents split up and went their separate ways. My dad thinks his middle name was Powell, but cannot be sure.

He was living in Bradford, W.Yorkshire in 1925.

I've used the records I'm aware of online to establish his immediate family tree, so have the names of his siblings and parents with available DOB's, etc

As of about 1930, nobody knows what happened to George Powell Ashton. Being only in his late 20's/early 30's, it's likely he had more children. So my dad, who is now 86 may have had (or still has) siblings he never knew about.

My question is, where do I go from here? What is the next step?

I fear that with such a common name and not knowing his whereabouts from the age of about 30, it maybe impossible to trace what ever happened to my Grandfather.

So I thought I'd pop a post on here and see if anyone can suggest anything avenues I could try.

The middle name of Powell could prove vital in tracing him (or prove to be a red herring)

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 22-06-11, 13:26. Reason: removed name of living person

Welcome to Family Tree Forum.

I will move your thread over to the Research Qs & As forum where hopefully someone will be able to help. I have also removed your father's name as we do not allow names of living people to be published. If someone feels they need that information to help, then they will send you a personal message which you will find on the Notifications tab at the top right of the page.

In the meantime, have you eliminated this one?

Birth registration:
    ASHTON, George Powell
    Saddleworth Vol. 9A, page 253
    1900 Apr-May-Jun

.. or is this the person you are trying to find?
    Elaine

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply.

And apologies for the incorrect forum and mentioning my fathers name.

I believe that to be the chap in question, that is the same record I found.

At some stage he must have crossed the Penines to Bradford and setup home there. But it's really after he left his family in the late 1920's that I'd love to find out about. Where did he go? etc

Thanks again.

Comment

There is a possible death in Bradford
        ASHTON, George P
        Bradford volume 2B, page 90
        1953 Jul-Aug-Sep
        Age 52 years at death

The informant on the death certificate might give you something to work with.

The other alternative is do you have his date of birth? If he died after 1970 then the death index gives date of birth which may help, and in fact you can search the death index by date of birth alone.
        Elaine

Comment

.. and another thought, do you have your grandparents marriage certificate? I think the first thing to check is that you have the right George Powell Ashton.
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine,

That is intriguing. I wonder if that's him?

Presumably I can order copies of Death Certifcates?

Comment

Thing is, they never got married.

Almost unheard of for the time, but they never actually wed.

Comment

Yes, but be careful where you order them from as some sites on the internet charge you a lot of money!

I would suggest you order direct from the General Register Office where you will find the price is £9.25. Make a note that you never pay more than this for a certificate!

You will need to enter the following information
                Name: George P Ashton
                Year of Registration: 1953
                Quarter of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
                Registration district: Bradford
                Volume: 2b
                Page: 90

This is known as the GRO reference.

When you are on the GRO site on the first page where you select which type of certificate you are requesting, you will see down toward the bottom of the page Is the GRO Index Reference Number known? Tick YES.

The problem is that when you get this certificate you may need to follow it up with other certificates. It may say the informant is his wife, or child - you will then need to trace them back to see if you can tie them in with your George Powell Ashton.

By the way, do you have your grandparents marriage certificate - are you sure the George Powell Ashton born 1900 is the right man. If you are not 100% sure then there is no point in buying death certificates until you know exactly who you are looking for.
                Elaine

Comment

We cross posted there.

If they didn't marry, was he mentioned on your father's birth certificate?
                  Elaine

Comment

Elaine,

This is excellent information, thank you very much.

Yes, he is mentioned on my fathers birth certificate.

From what I know, through research and from the snippets of information my father knows, I'm 100% sure this chap is the man I'm looking for, certainly in terms of the birth record.

At least getting this death certificate will open up another avenue of research, even if it ends up being the wrong man. It's all I have to go on at the moment.

Comment

Fingers crossed it's the right one ... and let us know how you get on!
                      Elaine

Comment

The George Powell Ashton was born June Q 1900 in Uppermill, Saddleworth and his parents were George Ashton and Ada Bradbury ( nee Watson ).. she married twice and her daughter Mary Louisa Bradbury age 14 is with the family in 1901 shwn as stepdaughter to the head .Address. Moorgate, Uppermill, Saddleworth.
                        1911 I don't have access but it would appear that the father is not with them, they are still in Saddleworth and he appears to be in Huddersfield.

Comment

It wasn't unheard of for unmarried couples to set up home back then, but it was relatively rare and the usual reason was that one or other was already married.

There are only 3 George P Ashton marriages before 1925 and only a few after 1930. What was your grandmother's FIRST name, please, just to eliminate her from the marriages.

OC

Comment

This is the 1911 household for George Ashton
                            ASHTON, Ada Head Widow F 41 1870 Mossley Lancs
                            ASHTON, Susannah Daughter Single F 18 1893 Weaver Diggle Yorks
                            ASHTON, Thomas Son Single M 16 1895 Willower Diggle Yorks
                            ASHTON, Alice Daughter Single F 15 1896 Winder Diggle Yorks
                            ASHTON, George Son Single M 11 1900 Uppermill Yorks <<<<<<<<<<<
                            ASHTON, Ada Daughter F 13 1898 Cardroom Marsden Yorks
                            ASHTON, Bertha Daughter F 9 1902 Uppermill Yorks
                            ASHTON, Harry Son M 5 1906 Uppermill Yorks
                            BURKE, Robert Boarder M 54 1857 Stationary Engineman N K
                            Last edited by margaretmarch; 22-06-11, 18:25.

Comment

The George Ashton b1862 living in Huddersfield in 1911 has the same occupation (Stone Quarryman) as Ada's hiusband George but this one says he is single! She is saying she's a widow
                              Margaret

Comment

I've just checked back on here to see more replies.

Thank you all very much.

Old Crone Holden: In answer to your question, my Grandmothers first name was Kate. And I think one of my earlier statements saying they didn't get married, may actually be incorrect. I believe they might have got married after all.

MargaretMarch: Right I see what you mean. So you think you've tracked him to Huddersfield, but my great grandmother states she's a widow!

And I wonder who this Robert Burke is then?

It's all very intriguing!

Comment

Ash

Yes, they married in 1921.The marriage is on Freebmd. If you get the marriage certificate, that will tell you his father's name, which will enable you to get the birth certificate and the birth certificate will enable you to get the death certificate.

It is possible that your grandparents divorced.

OC

Comment

There are only two George P Ashton marriages after 1926. Both appear to have produced offspring, but before you go there, you need to get George's marriage cert, to pin down his father - that will help with the two possible later marriages, one at least of which is not your George P, because the marriages were too close together and both produced offspring over several years.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                    X