Family history centres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family history centres

Sorry.....I'm sure this is a terribly silly question, but, from what's been said here, am I correct in assuming that family history centres can order the complete records of a parish, rather than just those extracted entries that appear on the LDS website ?

Thanks

They can obtain film or fiche that they have in their libraries.
    Have a look at this page in our Reference Library, there is a small section at the bottom about Family History centres with links to Family Search.
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      They can obtain film or fiche that they have in their libraries.
      It doesn't have to be held by the local centre, though - my centre here in Italy orders films on request from Germany, or if the German centre doesn't have them, they're ordered from Salt Lake City.

Comment

Unless you visit a large FHC (for example, Hyde Park), the film will have to be ordered for you to view at the FHC of your choice. In the UK, they are sent from Birmingham.

For UK FHCs films now have to be ordered and paid for online by the customer. First you need to log onto familysearch.org and look at the catalogue to see what films are available for the Parish you wish to look at. The catalogue will give you the film number you need to order. Make a note of the Item number quoted alongside the film number. This lets you know, where on the film the parish you want ti view will be situated. You will need this when viewing the film.

You can order the film from this link

You will have to register with the site first.

If you need help finding the film number, let me kow what Parish, type and dates you are interested in and I will see what I can find. I do some voluntary work at our local FHC and do this on a regular basis.

Pat

Comment

Some items in FHL are listed "not for circulation." I believe all others can be circulated to the centres if you pay the shipping costs, which the centres try to make as nominal as possible.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is a flat fee of £7 (?) to order and view a film. It used to be about £2.70. Still cheaper than travelling to the parish of your research, in my case!

OC

Comment

I think it depends where you are. Here in Italy, large reels of microfilm now cost more than small ones. It used to cost 1 euro for small ones and 2 euros for large ones.

I don't think the online ordering system's been introduced here yet, but it's a while since I've ordered anything.

I think Grey's in Germany, so her best bet is to phone her local centre and find out what their ordering system is.

Comment

Thanks very much for all your help. I just wondered in general. I have a British friend here in Germany who's been researching her family history for years & she asked me this question....our nearest centre is about an hour away &, I think, opens for 2 or 3 afternoons a week. . Wanted to know the lie of the land before I phoned

Comment

Working...
                X