Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing in 1861

Afternoon all!
    I'm wondering if anyone can find the family in 1861 please? I'm pulling my hair out and not getting any success!!!
    Here they are in 1871 -

George Heeley 39
    Ruth Heeley 37
    Mary Ann Heeley 17
    George Heeley 14
    Matthew 12
    Watler 9 (should be Walter)
    Clara 7
    Maria 2 (should be Meenea)
    Amy 3mths (grandaughter)

living in Kimberworth, Yorkshire
    RG10/4707 folio 35 pg20

Many thanks for any help!!!!
    Helen x
    Last edited by helxx; 21-06-11, 17:47.

where were they born and do you have them on 1851 census?
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Finding them on FMP, the children were all b Kimberworth, Yorks, except for Mary Ann, who was b "Masbro", like her mother. George was b in what looks like "Bradgate".

The 2-year-old is clearly named "Maria" in the image, whatever her name is supposed to be!

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 21-06-11, 17:39.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for the reply.
        In the 1871, George is listed as born in Bradgate, Yorkshire. His wife, Ruth was born in Masbrough, Yorkshire, as was daug mary Ann. The other children are listed as born in Kimberworth, Yorkshire. George and Ruth married in 1854. In 1851, Ruth is a servant in Kimberworth, her birth is again listed as Masbrough. George is with his parents, Isaac and Hannah, he is listed this time as being born in Thorpe Hesley, Yorkshire.

Comment

Yes, Christine, it's definitely been written as Maria. In 1881, her name looks like Meania - I've found however a birth reg for a Meenea Heeley, Rotherham district 1869 - so that seems to fit.

Comment

What an unusual name! Probably the enumerator didn't believe his own writing when he came to make out the summary sheets, and "corrected" it to "Maria"!

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have you checked to see which the missing pieces are for 1861, in case we're looking for something that doesn't exist?

Christine

Comment

oooh, good thinking Christine! Where do I find out what's missing?
                It really is an odd name. I'm beginning to wonder if the name comes down to being illiterate? I can't find a marriage or death for Meenea which is odd.

Comment

You might have a look here on FMP:
                  With this handy guide, find out when each key UK census was taken, when the next census will be released, and much more...

Don't forget the Reference Library, here in FMP!

Chrisitne

Comment

Surely this must be them. Substitute Edward for George (both of them) and Martha for Ruth and all birth places and ages etc tally!!!!

1861 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...651928&recoff=

Edward Heeley b Bradgate 31 Coal miner
                    Martha Heeley b Masbro 30
                    Mary Ann Heeley b Masbro 7
                    Edward Heeley b Barber Bank? 4
                    Mathew Heeley b Masbro 2

RG09 Piece: 3507 Folio: 123a Page: 30c
                    Last edited by Katarzyna; 21-06-11, 21:01.
                    Kat

Comment

Kat I looked eariler for this family & I agree with you.
                      I looked for Matthew 1st when searching & found that 1861 census record.

Comment

Yes, I've also come accross this family. I ruled them out, thinking Edward may be George's brother, but the more I think about it, I can't help but think its them. I wonder why they would have different names though? That's really strange?

Comment

I remember looking at a family with Edwards instead of Georges, and ruled them out. Any chance that they're middle names, or something?

Christine

Comment

I ruled them out first time round. I searched every which way on the surname and then just Ruth for example with a birth date +/-5 yrs born Yorkshire only and checking every result in case they were with another family and mistranscribed with their surname.I did the same with Matthew and this is the only one that fits; the family is exactly as it should be except for those names.
                            I remember when we used to do the generation game on here years ago someone found a very large family with a completely different surname - every detail fitted except the surname. It happens!
                            Kat

Comment

I don't know if this is of any help but Mary Ann's Birth and Baptism is on Genuki. She was born 4 Nov 1854 and Baptised 1 July 1855. Her parents are clearly listed as George and Ruth.

Sandra
                              Last edited by Sherbertrose; 22-06-11, 17:15.

Comment

Thanks for all your help ladies ;D
                                I still can't get my head around it. I don't think 'Edward' was their middle names......as that still leaves the mystery of Ruth becoming Martha, lol! I'm wondering if its an ennumerator error - maybe he copied out the sheet again but got some sheets muddled up and copied some names wrong?

I definitely think it's them now though, which is funny as I ruled them out straight away when I first found this family. I can't find a marriage for Edward and Martha either of later/previous census' that fit. So I think they're mine ;D

Oh, and thanks for the genuki tip Sandra - just had a look and will look more in depth when I've more time. Thank you!

Thanks again to you all! xxx

Comment

Working...
                                X